Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast! Software Updater won't stop "Preparing" for JRE

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:21 AM

I'm running Avast! Free 8.0.1483, 130307-0 on Windows 7.  (My earlier version wouldn't update correctly, so I re-installed by downloading the current version)  My Software Updater keeps giving me errors for Adobe Air, JRE 7 (32Bit), JRE 7 (64 Bit), and VLC Media Player. I've OK'd a separate alert (I can't remember which program prompted it, but I'd read about it elsewhere, too) about updating Adobe, but it still shows an error. 

Most annoyingly, the entry for JRE 7 (32Bit) will not stop "Preparing."  This reminds me of when my earlier version of Avast! wouldn't update, even though it kept saying it was on "Step 1 of 3."  I eventually had to re-install the new version.  I looked on Avast!'s forum & followed the steps here, about resetting the database.  But when I started it up again, it did the same thing.  

(I took a screenshot & put it in my Dropbox folder but I don't know if I get in on here.) 

thanks in advance!

PS - Should I disable it & use Secunia PSI like it says here?

Edited by pantherapardus4, 15 March 2013 - 04:24 AM.

Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

Windows 10, Firefox, avast! Free Antivirus, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, SpywareGuard, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:19 AM

Good morning pantherapardus4.

I would.

I love Avast! and am also running it (along side MBAM) on my Windows7 machines (desktop & laptop) and was rather bothered by that Software Updater and how I couldn't keep it turned off. I would turn it off and then on every start up *poof* it would turn it's self back on.  :mellow:   Not cool, as the kids say.

To do this you won't even need to download it again, you can just go to your Control Panel, select Avast! (as though you were going to Uninstall it) and you'll notice that you have the option to Uninstall/Change, select that and then do a Custom Install, unchecking all the programs you don't want to install.

And as for the Secunia PSI app - again, I love it and use it as a stand alone (don't run it all the time) just launch it once a week, Scan and then tend to what ever needs tending to...word of caution though, please use 2.0 not 3.0 as there have been a number of issues with 3.0 playing well with Windows 7.

Here's the link where you can still find 2.0

http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/sys_req/

Hope that helps.

onward,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#3 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:43 AM

Good morning, Winterland!  Thank you so much for your advice.  I really like Avast! as well.  There have only been those two glitches, but beyond that, it runs very smoothly and is the least annoying program I've tried.  I will try Secunia PSI.  Thanks for the tip to use 2.0, and the link.  I had read about people having trouble keeping the Software Updater turned off.  Thanks for that fix, as well. :)

Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

Windows 10, Firefox, avast! Free Antivirus, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, SpywareGuard, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

#4 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:46 AM

Glad to be of help.

Enjoy the day!

Winterland

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

A member of the avast! team at the avast! forums advised the next version of Software Updater will have an option in Settings which will allow disabling Software Updater permanently. BTW, if you click on more details in the Software Updater menu, there is an option to ignore the program(s). After doing that, the program will still show but no longer be highlighted unless you choose Stop Ignoring.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

Sounds funny to "stop ignoring" a program.  I don't know why, it just does.  It sounds like avast! has issues with updating, but again, I still like it a lot.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

Hi -

There are times when you need to Disable (not remove) your Antivirus for some downloads
Information on A/V control (temp disable) HERE if needed

If you still have a problem installing Java or other programs, download them to desktop and install from there -

Check your Java version here: http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
Which Download should I choose? http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=75259 < Offline install.
Choose Save to Desktop and install it from there.

Choose the Online download for the fastest install experience, but use offline if you have problems -
Choose the Offline download if you will be installing on a machine without an internet connection, or you are having problems with the Online install.

Instructions for Remove older versions of Java -

Just a bit of info for you if you have problems next time -

Good Luck -

#8 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

Thanks for all the info, noknojon!  Adobe & Java both seem to have updates every time I get online.  And for awhile, I was scared to remove earlier versions. 

This is most amazing website.  I get all sorts of personalized advice, so quickly & generously!  :heart:

#9 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:49 AM

Good morning again pantherapardus4!

I've always found the fastest / easiest way to update both of those programs it to remove any / all versions and then go to their website and get the latest version(s).

The only downside to that is keeping an eye out for the pesky "Add-Ons"  (Ask Toolbar, anyone? :P )

Enjoy the day!

Winterland

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:33 PM

I recommend you check Calendar of Updates on a daily basis. They provide update notices for most commonly used software.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#11 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

Actually, for this computer (Toshiba laptop; I think I have all the same protection on it) I just disabled Software Update, went out & got the latest JRE version, and restarted Software Updater.  It was happy with JRE, and just kept telling me there was a problem with Chrome.  I went & updated Chrome, but it's still unhappy with it, so I told it to ignore that one.  So far, it's ignoring it.  It wouldn't ignore JRE.

I already took out the Updater & am running Secunia on the desktop computer, so that'll stay like that.  I'm going to see how Software Updater fares with just the pre-emptive manual updating for this one.  (I've gotten very good at unchecking those "install this other stuff" boxes, Wonderland!) But perhaps I should also run Secunia every once in a while anyway?  Kind of like running MBAM once in a while?

(The Chrome errors made me think of uninstalling Chrome since I had switched back to Firefox, but now I'm not sure anymore.  I know that's a whole other topic, much discussed already.  I just would rather support Mozilla than Google...)

#12 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:56 AM

Hello again pantherapardus4.

I would strongly recommend running Secunia, MBAM and Avast! at least weekly.

I've helped a lot of folks in the past couple of years who always kept their anti-virus/malware programs up-to-date but never actually scanned their machines with the aforementioned programs.... :mellow:

Here in the Winterland household we just make it part of cleaning day (which tends to be Saturdays in these parts) so as my wife and I are running around cleaning, doing laundry, running to grocery store, we update our Avast and then run a Full Scan, and then MBAM, and so on.

I have the Pro version of Super Anti-Spyware but don't ever let run in the back ground, as quietman7 said, I use it as a stand alone scanner, only launching it once a week, updating the definitions, running a Full Scan and then shutting it back down.

As for ditching Chrome...I don't have any real input there, I keep several browsers on my machine(s) but almost always return to FF.

And if any of them are ever glitchy, I just do the ole Uninstall/Reinstall to keep things easy.

One other note I wanted to add was the idea that you might not even need Java.

I ran this machine (the desktop) for several months without it and it wasn't until I was looking at some online Math class related sites that I finally needed to install it. That was the only time in 6 months that I ever needed it.

Even now I've got the "Enable Java content in the browser" box unchecked and only check it when I go back to that one site. (It's under the Security tab.)

Since you have the laptop / desktop combo I would offer that you should test drive one of them without Java and see what happens.

Time to go get some more coffee! 

Enjoy the day.

Winterland

#13 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:00 AM

(I forgot that I can't just reply to the email notification.  oops)

Thanks for the link, quietman7.  Is it not safe to rely on the programs themselves to update, then handle any problems that come up?  Tbh, I can't imagine checking that list & updating all the time!

Winterland, thanks for all that advice!!  I am stunned by the possibility of not needing Java.  I thought EVERYTHING ran on it.  Maybe that's what they want me to think?     :busy:

Fortunately, I do realize that I need to run actual scans every week or so.  I can't really schedule automatic ones b/c our computer use is so erratic, so I do manual ones.  I like the idea of incorporating it into "cleaning day" with the rest of the house!  I kind of like the idea of a cleaning day (I wonder what that implies about our house...   :whistle: )

Secunia, btw, said there were some MS XML Core Services that were insecure.  Might this be due to my installing the Important MS updates, but not many of the optional ones?  Also, I've been running Comodo, but Windows Defender has somehow come back on.  I can just shut that back down, right?  Regarding SAS, I started out with the free version, but it kept bothering me all the time, so I switched to Spyware Blaster & Spyware Guard (I guess that's still doing stuff, even though it's never had an update since I downloaded it).

I feel so much more secure b/c of all of the advice I get here!

Edited by pantherapardus4, 23 March 2013 - 11:01 AM.

#14 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:07 AM

Just checked: "Action Center" says that both Defender & Comodo report being on.  But under "System & Security," Firewall says it's not on.  *sigh*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users