Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't boot. Is it fixable???

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

Hello computer people! :welcome:
How is everybody?

I have tried starting my computer many times, and it just won't seem to start.
It doesn't make sense because I have used it for months without any problems.

It ALWAYS used to turn on. :step1:
And now it NEVER turns on. :step2:

Is this thing fixable? :smash:
Is there a way to get it running again?

Does anybody know how to do this?

Captain Kirk
USS Enterprise

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Charles007

Chris Charles007

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:44 AM

Post specification of your computer and the symptoms it shows when you turn on your computer before we can give a solution.

Chris

Post specification of your computer and the symptoms it shows when you turn on your computer before we can give a solution.

Chris
Regards,
Chris
tokeepmypcup.com

#3 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:25 PM

Chris,
What's up my man? [Cpt. Kirk shakes hands with Chris]

Thanx for the reply.

MODEL: Compaq Evo N610c.

SYMPTONS: 1. When I press the power button, the computer will not turn on.
                    2. The computer does not beep or make any beeps/sounds when I try to turn it on.
                    3. The computer has not ran for one week; during which time, I occassionally pressed the "on" button.
                    4. Before last week, the computer has run just fine for months, without any problems.

ISSUE: Computer will not turn on :killcomp:

Captain Kirk
USS Enterprise

#4 Chris Charles007

Chris Charles007

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:09 AM

Hi,

I could see that your laptop is too old. Are you sure that Battery and the Power Supply are working fine.

Is the lights in front of the laptop turning ON and if you have a cable modem, can you check whether it shows any activity when you turn ON your laptop.

Chris

Regards,
Chris
tokeepmypcup.com

#5 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:57 AM

Hey Chris,

I took out the rechargeable battery and pressed the button on it. The lights lit up all across the indicator, describing it as having maximum power.
It is a brand new power cord.

The lights on the laptop don't turn on.

When the computer does not turn on, how do you "check" to see if there is any activity from the cable modem?

Captain Kirk
USS Enterprise

#6 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:54 AM

Er, Cap'n.

Do you hear any fans running when you turn it on?

If not, then you may not have any cooling for your CPU or graphics, which will cause a shut down, almost immediatly,(spelling?) at least that's what happened with one of my old laptops.. :blink:

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#7 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

Wildabeast,
[Bleeping Lurker...]
Nice to meet you.

The fans don't turn on.
It is not an "almost" immediate shutdown -- it won't even start up in the first place...
The computer hasn't been able to turn on for about 2 weeks now!!!

However, when it WAS booting/running, a fan was always running.
The last time that I was "able" to run the computer, it was not a sudden shutdown -- it was simply me turning off the power button!

So most likely, the cause was not from overheating.
Although there was 1 time many months ago when it had shut off suddenly, and which I suspect may have been from overheating, but I am not sure.
But that only happened one time, and very long ago.

Captain Kirk
USS Enterprise :smilers:

#8 Uncle Rim

Uncle Rim

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:34 AM

Greetings Captain. That computer was built in the very early 21st century. You need to manually press the power button to turn it on, telling it to turn on just won't work :P

One possible cause is the power switch has died of old age. Try pressing it from different angles, you might find the sweet spot.

I would try disconnecting all power from the computer. This is not just charger and battery, but also any network cables and phone connections. Wait a minute or so then put it back together and try again.

If these steps haven't cured the fault, remove the CMOS battery for about 5 minutes. Fortunately on your model it is not too difficult to get at. Remove one of the small plastic covers from the base of the computer. It is held on with two screws. Disconnect the cable from the board you find underneath. Release the two retaining clips and remove the board. You should now see the battery. Using a small flat blade screwdriver release the battery.

Should these steps fail to bring the computer back to life, then you could be looking at motherboard, processor or RAM failure. Given the age of the computer, this could be a great excuse to upgrade to a new computer.

#9 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:22 PM

Right now I'm running a virtual simulator in the simulator room, so even verbal commands can turn on the power.

But then when I manually test the actual hardware, it doesn't work.
I have pressed the power button now probably several dozen times.

First I unplugged the power cord and took out the rechargeable battery. I plugged in the power and tried to boot. Nothing.
I plugged in the power cord and reseated the rechargeable battery. I tried to boot. Nothing.

I disconnected all power. I unplugged the power cord. I took out the rechargeable battery, the CMOS battery, and Network card. 
I waited 5 minutes. I reseated the rechargeable battery and the CMOS battery. I plugged in the power and tried to boot. Nothing.

Then I figured I'd give the ole' power button "angle" technique a try. So I figure that that would be about at least 8 times of pressing the power button, one at each 45 degree angle, and in all the directions, N, S, E, W.
That done, I can say that it didn't do anything. I pressed the power button a total of 20 times.

Well, it was worth a try, anyways.

Okay, so now the focus is on the motherboard or processor: I have just gotten replacement RAM only several months ago.
And as my RAM have went out before, I know what the computer does without RAM -- and that is only that it won't "Run" any programs, but actually not "turning on" is not on the list of failing RAM. Therefore, it isn't the RAM.

So how do you test the motherboard or processor, or do you just throw the computer away at this point?
OR maybe a hammer might help fix it? :smash:

I don't think you can upgrade a dead computer -- there's not much you can do to it. I mean, if you get all upgraded hardware for it, it is STILL dead...
I've had this used laptop for a total of 1 year.

Captain Kirk
USS Enterprise

#10 Uncle Rim

Uncle Rim

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:11 AM

If it was me, given the low cost of new computers, I would give up at this point.

The only practical way to test if it is motherboard or processor is to try installing a known working one of either. I doubt you would find these new, however there are several motherboard processor combos on Ebay currently around the 40 USD price mark.

You can't rule out RAM yet. I have seen a couple of computers that have failed to start due to faulty RAM.

Have you tried altering the simulator's program to a scenario where the laptop works?

#11 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

"Uncle Rim to the holodeck, Uncle Rim to the holodeck. The is a code 3"
[A red light is flashing on the wall and a bell is ringing]

Is it possible to build a laptop from scratch?
Can you buy a case like you can for a desktop, but for a laptop instead?
Or is it only possible to build desktops from scratch?

Captain Kirk
USS Enterprise
:smilers:

Edited by James T Kirk, 19 March 2013 - 10:27 PM.

#12 Uncle Rim

Uncle Rim

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:23 AM

Of course it is possible, but I somehow suspect that is might be beyond your budget. Even Bill Gates has not progressed beyond a games console. In a laptop every component is designed to fit every other component. This means the only off the shelf components are the processor, RAM and chipset. The motherboard, case and cooling have to be made for each other. Then the keyboard, pointing device and even the display need to be designed to fit the case. Doing everything on the cheap might allow you to make one for around $10,000,000. Although you could drop this price substantially if size and weight are not considerations (picture a van with a desktop computer and an inverter).

In my last post I told you that you can replace the motherboard and processor fairly cheaply with second hand parts. These become available because the most common reason for writing off a laptop is screen failure. Although I wrote off a laptop of a similar age as yours because the hard drive failed. The $700 replacement was about 6 times as fast and that was 3 years ago.

Still, this laptop is my least used computer. I mostly use a desktop. The laptop is only used when I am away from home, working on equipment that needs a portable computer and cold mornings when I don't want to get out of bed. I also use an 7" android tablet which is the only computer that comfortably fits in my back trouser pocket. The android is unbeatable when it comes to emails on the road and even VFR (visual flight rules) navigation when above cloud.

#13 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

:bubbles: Ya, I figured that if it WAS possible to build a laptop from scratch, that it wouldn't be easy. But the costly part I was not aware of: but I can understand, since the parts aren't commonly made. I also assumed that you probabily couldn't even do it in the first place!! That's news to me.

Though sometimes it seems like it would be a whole lot easier to carry around a 2 ton van in your back pocket :lmao:

I didn't know that screen failure was the most common laptop death.
I must admit, I do have to agree with you about desktops: I prefer desktops over laptops by far any day.
However, as space permits, a laptop is all that I am able to have at the moment -- so I must deal with this perspective.

When you say "cloud", you mean accessing a giant 100 Gigabyte internet hard drive of programs and files?

So what should I do with the laptop then? 
Is it garbage?

Captain Kirk
USS Enterprise

#14 Uncle Rim

Uncle Rim

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:24 AM

That really depends on the state of your finances. If you can afford a new one now that prices start around $500, then ditch it. Otherwise get on Ebay and by a second hand motherboard and cpu. Then of course you have to think about fitting it. Most laptops require you to remove every component until you are left with the motherboard and bottom cover. It's been a few ytears since I have done that and wouldn't mind if it's a few more years before I have to do it again.

By cloud I mean the fluffy white stuff that prevents you  using landmarks to work out where you are. Aviation GPS tells you how far and what direction the airport is in. Google maps how ever shows towns and roads. A much easier reference point when working out where those pesky mountains are.

#15 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

Okay, so the laptop is dead.
Is there anything that is salvageable from the laptop?

It seems like some of the laptop's components are junk, so they at least can be thrown away.
If I rebuild the laptop, I know I can at least keep the laptop case for starters, right?

Like desktops, is it cheaper to build a laptop from scratch in the same way, or was there some
truth to the point that you were making about how building a laptop will cost 10 billion dollars,
and that's only if you go with used only parts?

So your pilot huh? But not of a Starship though, right? Are you a Captain?
I didn't think you were part of Starfeet Command!! How amazing. It must be fun flying above the clouds... :hysterical:

Captain Kirk
USS Enterprise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users