Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Word

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EBY

EBY

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:22 PM

I HAVE A LOT OF WORD AND EXCEL FILES AND I WOULD LIKE TO GIVE SOME FILES THAT ARE USED ALOT DISTICTIVE ICONS TO HELP FIND THEM FASTER. CAN THIS BE DONE WITH OUT PUTTING THEM IN FOLDERS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 01:55 PM

Hi EBY.
As far as I know, you can only do it globally (all at once per extension, same icon).
In the registry, extensions are associated with applications. Also, when files are displayed, the file association in the registry determines the icon you see.
I don't care for the standard default office icons much either so I changed them.
But if I give the files to someone else, they'll still see just the standard office icons on their system unless they too have changed them.
The only workaround I can think of is to create seperate shortcuts to each document you want. From there you can change the individual icons.

Edited by HitSquad, 04 April 2006 - 02:00 PM.

#3 Serenity Now

Serenity Now

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:05 PM

Hi Eby,

I am not sure if I have a clear understanding of what you are trying to do, but I think you do and try this out.

You can change the icons of word files if they are short cuts. Create a shortcut on your desktop (but you have already done this, right?), then right click the shortcut and select properties. From there, there should be a "change icon" tab that will allow you to do just that.

I hope this is what you mean and I hope this helps, but to the best of my recollection, this can only be done with a shortcut and will only appear on that one shortcut (so other shortcuts to the same file will NOT have the different icon) and from that workstation.

Let me know if this helps at all.

Good Luck

#4 EBY

EBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 04:20 PM

THANKS FOR THE INFO ON ICONS I HAVE MOVED ALL THE FILES IN QUESTION TO FOLDERS AND CREATED SHORTCUTS TO OTHER FILES AND DESKTOP AND SUCCEEDED IN CHANGING ICONS ON SHORTCUTS FOR FASTER RECOGNITION ON CONSTANTLY USED FORMS CREATED IN WORD. THANK YOU AGAIN THIS WILL SAVE A LOT OF TIME SEARCHING FOR THE DIFFERENT FORMS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users