Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 boots with no display when drivers are installed, GTX 480

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 comham

comham

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

System specifications:

CPU: Intel i7 2600k

Motherboard: MSI P67A-GD55 (B3)

GPU: Asus Nvidia Geforce ENGTX480 1.5 GB

RAM: 2x4GB Geil DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz

Storage: 3 Samsung 1TB HDD's, two in RAID-1 (storage), OCZ Vertex 60gb SSD (Operating system)

PSU: Corsair TX 950W

Basically, I got all these parts in early 2011 and assembled them fine, and the PC worked perfectly well for 3 weeks. Then one day I was playing a game and the PC crashed, and thereafter would not boot to windows properly, hanging and restarting after the splash screen. It would boot to safe mode fine, and also to full windows if the Nvidia display drivers were uninstalled, but upon reinstalling them it would fail to boot. Doesn't matter what version of the drivers. Updated the BIOS too, no luck. Reinstalled windows, no luck.

I RMA'd the graphics card and it was returned to me with no faults detected. The motherboard was also RMA'd and replaced due to an unrelated issue with the SATA ports. The whole shebang was taken to two tech support places but neither could figure it out (I need to find the notes they gave me...). After a few months of this I was rather fed up and so I put the graphics card from my old PC (Geforce 8800 GTX) into the new one instead, and it works fine. The GTX480 has been sitting in its packaging for a year.

Recently though with Arma 3 being released I got to thinking, I'm sure I can get the GTX480 working. Same old problem, although now instead of crashing on boot, windows 7 seems to boot fine, just with a blank screen (the monitor detects no output and turns itself off), because judging by the Event Viewer the boot continues as normal, and putting MP3 files in the Startup folder, they play all the way to the end. Ubuntu fails to boot at all though. I'm typing this in Windows 7 without the graphics drivers installed.

I'm thinking it might be a PSU issue but I don't have one spare to test with. If anyone knows anything I can try to get this apparently A-ok graphics card working I'd be grateful.

EDIT: oh yes, and it BSoD's when I run Nvidia Monitor (to try and underclock it to reduce power usage to that of the 8800GTX, to see if that would help), system service exemption, BCCode 3b. See second post

Edited by comham, 15 March 2013 - 06:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Charles007

Chris Charles007

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:52 AM

Hi
Have you checked GTX480 in other computer.

Chris
Regards,
Chris
tokeepmypcup.com

#3 comham

comham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:26 AM

I don't have another computer that can take it, it needs a 6+8 pin power connector and the other computers PSU only has 6+6. The GTX480 has been inspected by an RMA team and found to be working, anyway.

EDIT: Nvidia Monitor bluescreens the PC even with the 8800 GTX installed, so never mind that.

Booted Ubuntu without quiet mode on, and recieved a load of PCI parity errors with the GTX480 installed. Managed to get windows 7 booting with the driver and the card installed (just by uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, nothing new), but the display blanked out and recovered a dozen times in a minute ("Nvidia display driver has recovered from an unexpected crash", said the tray), then it crashed and restarted, and back to a working boot with no display.

I've put the 8800GTX back in so I can use my PC properly. I doubt I'll ever fix this.

I found the note from PC world, they said the same thing happened (but less frequently) when they put the GTX480 in their test machine, so i guess the card is faulty after all. Not sure how to go about replacing it though since I'm not sure what caused it to die in the first place, maybe I'll replace the PSU and the graphics card in one go.

Edited by comham, 15 March 2013 - 06:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users