Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to see hidden files in Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 green box

green box

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

By Lawrence Abrams November 17 2006

After going through the steps so that Windows Vista is configured to show all hidden files. What do I need to do to show these hidden files?.

Thank you.

green box

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:52 AM

Same as any other version of Windows - "Show Hidden  Files & Folders" and "Display the Contents of System Folders". What are you trying to do that isn't working?

#3 Agglomerate

Agglomerate

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

Open any windows explorer window, go to view, folder and search options, view. On this tab there's a list of options, show hidden files and folders, check it and they will appear. There is also others such as Display protected operating system files etc.

- Agglomerate

#4 green box

green box
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:23 PM

Allan, I apologize for sending you a private message.

I have not been able to see the hidden files after configuration to show hidden files.

Where have I gone wrong.

green box

#5 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

Welcome to BP.

If you have the menubar showing in Windows Explorer click on Tools/Folder Options... on the View tab under Hidden files and folders click Show hidden files and folders then click Apply. Or you can use Folder Options in Control Panel but you won't see what it changes.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#6 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

I've just replied to your other post on the same question. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/488606/how-to-see-hidden-files-in-windows-vista/

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,566 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

Merged both posts here.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:59 AM

Have you made both changes in Folder Options, clicked "Apply to all folders" and then clicked "ok"? Please look in Folder Options - does it have the correct settings?

#9 green box

green box
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

Dear Alan, Agglomerate, Keithuk and boopme,

Sorry for going out of contact for a time but now have returned, but I have still not ' seen hidden files in windows vista ' yet. 

Thank you.

green box

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,566 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

Hello, this will make ALL hidden files visible, even those hidden on purpose.

Please download the following program to your desktop:
Unhide.exe
Once the program has been downloaded, double-click on the Unhide.exe icon on your desktop and allow the program to run.

Edited by boopme, 09 April 2013 - 09:19 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:05 AM

Click start orb>then click>user account folder/ or/ documents, when the folder opens press ALT on keyboard>tools>folder options>view tab>highlight show hidden files and folders>untick hide extensions for known file types>untick hide protected operating system files (recommended)>click apply>ok

thats it, to return back to normal reverse the proceedure, which is highly recommended !!!!

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#12 green box

green box
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

Dear boopme,

I downloaded Unhide.exe and it showed some files but I don't think all. The files I require are in the Registry are part of the BBC iplayer software. I uninstalled BBC iplayer , but not all of it because I need to delete some directory files before I can reinstall the software. These directory files are 'the hidden files' I need to see. I know you have to be very careful when doing changes in the Registry.Thank you.

green box 

#13 green box

green box
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:40 AM

Dear doinmeedin,

Click start orb. Sorry, please what is ' orb '.

Thank you.

green box

#14 green box

green box
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:33 AM

My thread ' how to see hidden files in Windows Vista ' has now finished with no conclusion. 

green box

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

<<The files I require are in the Registry are part of the BBC iplayer software. I uninstalled BBC iplayer , but not all of it because I need to delete some directory files before I can reinstall the software. These directory files are 'the hidden files' I need to see. I know you have to be very careful when doing changes in the Registry.>>

Not sure where you are getting your info about the need to delete reg files...but you need to understand a few things.

a.  Although we refer to them as registry files...the only way to edit/remove, etc. those files...is by using regedit, the Windows regsitry tooll.  You cannot "see" registry files and expect them to look like system or other files.  They are expressed as values, etc.  For summary information re the Windows registry, you might try reading

Demystifying the Windows Registry - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial74.html#backup

Beginners Guides The Registry Backups, Repairs, and Protection - PCSTATS.com - http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=263&page=4

b.  Registry files are unaffected by the "hidden" status of Windows files.  Since they are not "files" in the same manner that system, data, program files are...you cannot access, edit, etc. them in the same manner.

c.  "Directory files" is a term typically referring to files which are easily accessible in Windows by using the Search function or a similar tool.  The only exception would be if you are referring to Windows system files.  All installed program files, all data files...have no "hidden" attribute typically...unless malware is involved.  Some malware cause problems with the way that Windows functions, including the ability to see files which are typically visible to any user.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 May 2013 - 11:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users