Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Slow boot, black screen after login

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sbruno624

sbruno624

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

I've been having problems recently with my computer.  Win 7 Ult x64, installed on an SSD, it used to boot in 30 seconds or less and I was in windows.  Now, it takes a while for the flag to even come up, and longer still to get to the login screen.  After I login, I hear the tone, and the screen just goes black with a mouse.  sometimes a start-up program will show like team viewer, and after a while I am able to access my desktop.  I've tried updating all the drivers.  I've disabled start-up services and programs, re-installed VMWare, uninstalled VMWare's adapters and disabled it.  I'd rather not install Windows again, the installation is only a few weeks old so it leads me to believe it is a driver issue somewhere.  The only things that I can decipher in the event log on diagnostic boot are a failure to load VGA.sys and a bunch of network drivers, which were removed.  I'm out of ideas and knowledge so any help would be greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sbruno624

sbruno624
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:09 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, anyway turns out it was a bad core on my processor, disabled it and it works fine.  So for anyone that is having this issue and you can disable cores try this.  It is definitely hardware related

#3 ejardinado

ejardinado

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:22 PM

How to did you do it? I have the same issue with my laptop.

#4 sbruno624

sbruno624
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:53 AM

I build my computer, so I have access to those settings through the BIOS, but a lot of times it is because of driver issues, or in my case hardware issues.  I'm replacing the processor to correct the problem, but if your computer is under warranty and you cant seem to fix it, then get it repaired.  Also, software like VMWare can cause issues, not sure if you have it installed but its been known to do it.  Boot in diagnostic mode and check to see if there is a driver failure.  I would reinstall or update most of the system drivers.  

#5 Tracel2000

Tracel2000

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

Hi,

I had the same problem.  After about a year of trying every recommendation I read on multiple forums, I found one thing that solved my problem: disabling Intel® Anti-Theft (AT) Technology in the BIOS.

Enter BIOS Setup Utility:

1.  Power on and enter boot menu (tapping F2 immediately when computer starts or whichever button your system uses to enter boot setup).

2. Navigate to the setup screen where Intel® AT Support System is found.

3. Disable both Intel® AT Support System and Intel® AT Suspend.

4. Save Changes and Exit

After doing the above, my system rebooted to the login screen (with no noticeable delay), and more importantly, after I entered my windows password, my desktop loaded within just a couple of seconds-as fast as it did when I first bought the computer!

I hope this helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users