Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading from 2G.B to 4G.B

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

hey guys,

I have laptop Dell inspiron pp41l

and it comes with 4 gb ram and vista os

after a while from the purchase one of the slots sopt working and each time I install a ram in it

the device freeze, so I am thinking if I upgrade to on stick ram ddr2 4gb is it good idea or what else should I do ?

help !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 johngreen168

johngreen168

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:54 AM

It sounds like a malware related issue, you may consult the malware expert team, visit here.

#3 purplewarrior

purplewarrior

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:02 AM

Can you make that more clear?

I just don't get what you're trying to say exactly.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,957 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:04 AM

The Inspiron pp41l / 1545 has two slots with a maximum complement of 8GB, so it should be possible to utilize a single 4GB DIMM. You won't have dual-channel operation, so the memory performance will be reduced a little. For most applications you wouldn't notice much difference in speed.

http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Dell-memory/Inspiron+Laptops%2FNotebooks/Inspiron+1545-upgrades.html

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

Can you make that more clear?

I just don't get what you're trying to say exactly.

The Inspiron pp41l / 1545 has two slots with a maximum complement of 8GB, so it should be possible to utilize a single 4GB DIMM. You won't have dual-channel operation, so the memory performance will be reduced a little. For most applications you wouldn't notice much difference in speed.

http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Dell-memory/Inspiron+Laptops%2FNotebooks/Inspiron+1545-upgrades.html

the laptop currently has only 2 gb of ram but originally it comes with 4gb 2 gb each in 2 lots

since one of the slot has an issue because when i put any amount of ram it freeze

so i decided to buy 4 gb ram to fit in one slot and hopefully speed the laptop

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

You can get a single 4GB DDR2 from Crucial.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:10 PM

I ordered 4 gb ram and waiting for it !

but the question will it give me more speed

Edited by fadi-sheikh, 17 March 2013 - 05:10 PM.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,957 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

If you've been getting lagging because Windows is accessing the swapfile, then extra RAM should clear that up, which would make the computer feel much more responsive. But if the system hasn't been running out of physical memory with the current 2GB, you might not notice much difference. However Vista is a rather bloated OS and the more memory the better.

#9 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:33 PM

If you've been getting lagging because Windows is accessing the swapfile, then extra RAM should clear that up, which would make the computer feel much more responsive. But if the system hasn't been running out of physical memory with the current 2GB, you might not notice much difference. However Vista is a rather bloated OS and the more memory the better.

the thing is the laptop comes with windows vista home basic with 4 gb ram that's why I am asking that question !

because the first time I bought it wasn't that slow !

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,957 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:17 AM

Only trying the larger amount of memory will tell whether it improves speed with the configuration and applications you use. But a single 4GB DIMM will not be as fast as it was if you originally had a pair of 2GB DIMMs, since you will no longer have dual channel memory operation.

Unless you have benchmarks, telling whether a system is matching the performance it showed when new is very subjective. A new computer usually feels fast in comparison to the the one you had before, after a while you get used to it and you no longer feel the speed. But it's also likely that over time software has become more demanding (e.g. the anti-virus or internet security software), also the hard drive fills up, thus utilizing the slower sections of the drive, and if defrag is not run periodically the file system becomes fragmented. Hibernating the system over substantial periods rather than shutting down and restarting next time can also result in a sluggish system, since the computer has effectively run non-stop for its total on-time since the original hibernation, and boot-file optimization never occurs.

If a system seems slow it's also worth double checking for any type of malware - even something that may not be directly harmful (often called a PUP, Potentially Unwanted Program) can have the nuisance result of dragging down system performance.

Edited by Platypus, 18 March 2013 - 02:19 AM.

#11 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

Only trying the larger amount of memory will tell whether it improves speed with the configuration and applications you use. But a single 4GB DIMM will not be as fast as it was if you originally had a pair of 2GB DIMMs, since you will no longer have dual channel memory operation.

Unless you have benchmarks, telling whether a system is matching the performance it showed when new is very subjective. A new computer usually feels fast in comparison to the the one you had before, after a while you get used to it and you no longer feel the speed. But it's also likely that over time software has become more demanding (e.g. the anti-virus or internet security software), also the hard drive fills up, thus utilizing the slower sections of the drive, and if defrag is not run periodically the file system becomes fragmented. Hibernating the system over substantial periods rather than shutting down and restarting next time can also result in a sluggish system, since the computer has effectively run non-stop for its total on-time since the original hibernation, and boot-file optimization never occurs.

If a system seems slow it's also worth double checking for any type of malware - even something that may not be directly harmful (often called a PUP, Potentially Unwanted Program) can have the nuisance result of dragging down system performance.

I lave checked all the stuff you mentioned but I still have slow laptop

even the fans and device doesn't get overheat

you probably right about if there two rams in each slot then the performance would be better but I will try this solution

hopefully we can get some speed !

I think the hard drive is good and it's not full also the processor is core 2 duo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users