Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backward Compatible Mobos?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:55 AM

Hi guys, I have run into a dilemma. I am looking to get a new computerand I am running into brick wall after brick wall. I can't seem to figure out if I take a mobo with 800mhz FSB and I stick a CPU with 533mhz FSB, will it work?

I am looking at the MSI P4N SLI-FI nForce4 SLI Intel Edition motherboard and the Intel Pentium D 805 Smithfield. I know there are a lot of reviews saying that the D doesn't work on this board, but after many hours of research, I found out that this board doesn't support the D 820 or higher. Guess what they were trying to hook it up with? The D 920 :thumbsup: People! Do your research!

So, will it work? Thanks

Edited by legoman786, 04 April 2006 - 11:00 AM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:23 PM

According to MSI, D820, yes, D920 no. D805, "Under Testing" I'd believe 'em. :thumbsup:
Checked for bios update as well but latest available bios version is listed with the info below:
As for supported pentiums with a 533FSB, a couple P4's, a few Celeys.

P4N SLI CPU Support Status

Edited by HitSquad, 04 April 2006 - 12:43 PM.

#3 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:18 PM

Aw... I wanted an SLI board that also supported D's... Looks like my hunt is on, once again!!

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:33 AM

Aw... I wanted an SLI board that also supported D's...

Ya lost me on that one legoman, it does some, just not the 900's :thumbsup:

Pentium D (64-bit, Smithfield, Dual Core, FSB800, L2 Cache 2x1MB)

Pentium D 820 (2.8GHz) = yes
Pentium D 830 (3.0GHz) = yes
Pentium D 840 (3.2GHz) = yes

Edited by HitSquad, 05 April 2006 - 08:34 AM.

#5 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:47 AM

I know... I'm sorry. It's just I want something that supports the entire D family up to 9xx. I want to future-ready my computer, and not pay $xxx for a motherboard like that. Like I said, "My hunt is on, once again!"

Thanks for your help HitSquad

- Rick Cook

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:20 AM

Don't know what other requirements you like or if you plan on recycling something from an existing system but what do you think about this board? Gigabyte makes an excellent mainboard.
If sli is a must, have a look at this abit board

Edited by HitSquad, 05 April 2006 - 09:25 AM.

#7 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:08 AM

Well, SLI is not a must, but more like preferred. As long as it is a full ATX board and can support the entire Pentium D family.

- Rick Cook

#8 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:36 AM

I just saw this http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Products/Prod...e=CPU%20Support but the support only goes down to 820, nothing lower. Is the 805 compatible?

- Rick Cook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users