Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2nd opinion?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cmc5

cmc5

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

The very fine folks in the malwarebytes forum are telling my my other laptop has been infected with a backdoor type infection and that though the computer can be cleaned, I really should just wipe the hard drive and start over. That and I should call all my credit cards/bank and tell them I've potentially had my identity stolen (which I'm assuming they'll respond to by issuing new cards, new accounts, etc etc). Now, I respect their advice, but given this is a pretty huge amount of hassle I was thinking maybe a second opinion would be in order.

malwarebytes found svchost.exe, and TDSSkiller found rootkit.boot.pihar.c. I have the mbam log and dds text files if that would be of interest.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

Malware removal helpers at other forum didnot say that your identity has been stolen.They are warning that the infection is a backdoor variant and steals passwords.This is general warning given to users who get infected by backdoor infections.I would request you to change your online banking credentials.If someone is helping you at other forum please stick with them.We do not provide help to users who are already being assisted somewhere else.Different fixes from different helpers simulaneously would screw your system.

If you really need help please close the topic in other forum and post here.

#3 cmc5

cmc5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

Thanks for the response. I didnt say they told me my identity had been stolen, rather that I should take action as if it had. I wasnt implying bad advice, like I said I was just looking for a second opnion on the seriousness of the infection.

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:48 PM

If you dont notice anything suspicious ,you should better continue with malware removal.Changing the passwords should be more than enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users