I must warn you that I fear that my machine may have multiple issues, so that could be causing the inability to find what's causing my google redirect; however, let's just tackle that one for now.
Here's the facts:
- Windows Vista
- It just started today (03/13/13)
- Chrome and Explorer is unaffected.
- Firefox affected. Sends me to something that looks like Bing, and jumps my cursor down to the search field -- instead of being able to type in the URL (I can click out of the search field and write in the URL after the fact).
- The following said I was clean:
- McAfee Stinger
I know that I'm not supposed to cloud the issue, but I wanted to point out some supsicous activity on my laptop (XPS M1730) that might help solve this problem:
- McAfee Virus Protection (Paid Version) won't open. It keeps popping up notifications that say I need to restart for updates. I'll restart (I may have followed the pop-up link, don't remember) or click shutdown with updates and it won't go away.
- Laptop won't detect battery anymore and must stay plugged in (I believe this is a CMOS battery issue, but not sure if anyone has seen a form of malware that does this)
I'll answer as many questions about my machine as possible. Thanks in advance for your kind and generous assistance. There's nothing like working on my thesis with this nonsense. LOL.