Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New computer, multiple problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mageslayer188

Mageslayer188

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

Ok so first of all, the issues I'm about to mention are happening on a new computer (arrived less than 2 weeks ago). The parts were picked out by a friend who knows hardware much better than I (I know little to nothing of the subject).

I had some issues with the display (only resolutions available were 800x600 and something else) which were seemingly solved by reinstalling the drivers for my graphics card MSIR7850). I thought I was good, but upon opening any even slightly demanding game, the display would briefly freeze up and I'd get the error, "Display driver AMD driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

I asked my aforementioned friend if he knew anything about that. He said to uninstall and reinstall my graphics card drivers. With the help of google, I downloaded a driver sweeper and made sure said drivers were completely uninstalled before reinstalling. Still I got the same error.

My friend then suggested downloading something called memtest, to check if my RAM was bad. There were no problems there. 

Finally I searched for a solution myself, and found someone who had success getting rid of this error by adjusting settings in AMD Overdrive (Check "Enable Graphics Overdrive', set 'High Performance GPU clock settings' to 825, set 'High Performance memory clock settings' to 1200, check 'Enable manual fan control' and set that to 60%). This worked, and I had no issues for about a week.

Then suddenly I started the same "Display driver AMD driver" error upon opening the same games I'd gotten that error on previously, and had not gotten once I "fixed" it. Returning to google, the remaining solutions I could find were few and far between. It was suggested that I update the drivers for the motherboard (Biostar H77MU3), so I tried that. Since I hadn't touched the disk that came with my motherboard (I don't usually touch that sort of disk unless the thing it came with doesn't work), I popped that in and started it up. After that did its thing... my computer was suddenly no longer able to connect to the internet. Oh and my display error wasn't fixed either...

From there, first priority shifted to getting back onto the internet (this laptop is old, and often dies seemingly at random). Troubleshooting the network connection says, "The wireless network adapter is experiencing problems." I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for the USB adapter (Linksys WUSB100) (grabbed the ones from the Linksys site on this computer and transferred them via a flash drive. That didn't work. I went to the Biostar site and downloaded the most recent drivers for my motherboard and installed them. That didn't work. The adapter itself has not gone bad. I determined this by installing the drivers for it on this laptop, disabling the internal wireless, and plugging in the adapter. I could connect to the internet without issue.

I feel like I'm running out of options, and I'm very frustrated... Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

<<Display driver AMD driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered.>>

IMO, that message would indicate onboard video if AMD CPU is installed.  If so and you are using an installed physical card...you should go into the BIOS and disable the onboard video.

Could you please tell us what motherboard and CPU are installed? 

FWIW:  The CD which accompanies a new motherboard...is intended to be used by owners to install needed drivers for that motherboard to function as it was intended to function.  That's normally done just after Windows has installed successfully.  The drivers on the CD are provided because they are known to work with that board, while the "latest" drivers may not necessarily work in an optimum manner.

I suggest that you uninstall your "driver sweeper" program and begin your journey by inserting the MSI drivers CD and letting install drivers for any functions included on the disk.  The disk should be one that automatically installs drivers needed, but may prompt for reboots after each one or some.

It would not hurt to uninstall all the drivers you currently have installed...before running the motherboard drivers CD.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 March 2013 - 08:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users