Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Believed to be failing Hitachi 80GB ATA-100 harddrive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sledder

Sledder

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

And, in view of this problem i would like to install an Intel 330 180GB SSD with an adaptor board (or something specific) that converts sata to IDE and IDE to sata.  The reason for this is I would like to use

this SSD in a new tower unit that is being built while the current unit is still in use. Im using a Asus

P4S8X-X board. I am somewhat new to this but i dont consider myself dangerous to myself and others.

Would someone be willing and able to help.

Thanks

Sledder

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

I would hold off and install the ssd in the new build and then install the operating system.

When you take a hdd with a Windows OS installed on it that you have been using on one computer and then install it in another computer which you are going to boot from you are asking for major problems. The excerpt below is from a Intel article which describes in detail what happens. The article also mentions a reference to an article by Microsoft, it can be seen here.

"Moving a hard drive with Windows already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer you may not be able to start Windows. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you change your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error."

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Sledder

Sledder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

I think I created some confusion about the switch, My intension is to format the drive before removal and then reinstall XP pro

in the new unit according to the wishes of the new motherboard. Am i still on the wrong path. I use carbonite to back up my files,

plus a local external drive for that extra measure of insurance and quick access if needed. Never happened yet.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:32 AM

You can replace the old Hitachi drive with an SSD.  Remember that extended support for Windows XP will end in April 2014 and Windows XP does not have TRIM support for SSD's built-in, you need third party tools for this.  Alternatively, you can install Windows 7 or 8 to gain this functionality.

3939.png

#5 WinOutreach6

WinOutreach6

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

Sledder,

You can run Windows XP on a solid state drive but there are performance gains and more built-in support to be had with Windows 7 or Windows 8.  More information on making a solid state drive work on Windows XP can be found in this TechNet blog should you continue with that route.

Also, as DJBPace07 mentioned, the End of Support date for Windows XP (April 8, 2014) is approaching and you will no longer have support for that operating system.  To find out more about what End of Support means for Windows XP, check out this page.

A better option would be to consider migrating to Windows 7 or Windows 8; both of which have support for solid state drives. More information on migrating to either of those two operating systems can be found on the Deliver and Deploy Windows 7 page and Deliver and Deploy Windows 8 page, respectively.

Another page that may prove useful in helping you migrate to a newer operating system can be found in this blog post from the Springboard Series blog. There are some great tools outlined that can help you plan to migrate from Windows XP to Windows 7 or Windows 8.

Mike

Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

Edited by WinOutreach6, 26 March 2013 - 06:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users