Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Essentials update deleted my database

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 oxblood

oxblood

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

Greetings all. Imagine my surprise this morning when I discovered that an ME Essentials auto update had either deleted or rerouted my Palm contacts list to a path on the hard drive I can't seem to locate.

The MS Essentials version is 1.145.1667.0  I'm running Windows XP and use MS Explorer when possible. Any help anyone can provide to help repopulate my contacts list will be greatly appreciated as I'm currently out of business without it.

Kind regards.

Oxblood

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

Hi -

Uninstall your version of MSE with the M/soft Fixit linked below -
To have M/soft uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials by using an alternative method for you, go to the "Fix it for me" section >
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9748340 < To fix this problem automatically, click the Fix this problem link. Then click Run in the File Download dialog box, and follow the steps in this wizard.
Note: If you are not on the computer that has the problem, you can save the automatic fix to a flash drive or to a CD so that you can run it on the computer that has the problem.

Next, install the latest version from here > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=231276
Check for Updates and reset your normal Settings Area -

If you wish for help with normal settings, please ask once you download the new version -

Thank You -

#3 oxblood

oxblood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

Noknojon - I have completed the removal and reinstallation of MSE. What do I need to do to recover my lost Palm database contact information? The removal took place last Tuesday March 12th.

Thanks

Oxblood

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

http://www.piriform.com/recuva//download < Try Recuva (Free Version) - Details below are from download link (from Piriform)
Accidentally deleted an important file? Lost something important when your computer crashed? No problem! Recuva recovers files deleted from your Windows computer, Recycle Bin, digital camera card, or MP3 player. And it's free!

I used it once and got a deleted file back that was accidentally removed by the kids -
Always worth a try - Other programs are available also -

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

I Googled recovery software for xp free download and found quite a few other programs (I have not tested them yet) -
15 Free File Recovery Software Programs (Free Undelete Software)
Windows XP Data Recovery Software

Let us know what works for you -

#6 oxblood

oxblood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:35 AM

Noknojon - Thanks so much your help and attention to this issue! I'll keep you posted on results.

Sincerely

Oxblood

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users