Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIRELESS ROUTER

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 car 54

car 54

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:12 AM

i have one computer with  a windows xp pro os that has a wgr 614v10 wireless router on it.

i connected a lap top to the  wireless router and it connects to the internet just fine.

i have another computer with  linux mint 11(katya) gnome 32 bit that i cannot connect to the router

can someone walk me through editing wireless connection?

i know my ssid

i don`t know what mode,bssid,device mac address,cloned address,mtu are or how to find them

any help would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

you shouldn't need all that info. does the wifi work on the laptop? alot of times on older pcs the hardware manufacturer will refuse to support open source developers. So alot of forging of drivers is required. this may or may not be the case.

on mint 11, I think there is an icon on the system tray at the bottom. (years   since I played with mint11). similar to your windows OS you should be able to click on it and connect to open connections.

if you don't see the wifi: do you see an icon that says you need to install proprietary drivers? if so: plug into the internet via ethernet and install the nessesary drivers.

to connect, you simpily look for your SSID (exammples: ben's internet, car 54's home, netgear... whatever) and click it. enter your password (if applicable) maybe you have WPA or WPA2 security or some others that may be less common....

let me know how you make out

#3 car 54

car 54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:05 AM

thank you for responding
it shows that the wireless network is connected to the lap top.
but i can`t get a wireless connection back to either computer and they are only five feet from the router.
when i connect the ethernets to the router and computers they show a wired connection on the laptop and it is connected to the internet.

i am hopelessly lost because i can`t find a tutorial with pictures to set it up.
i just don`t know enought about computers to figure out what to do

i wanted to put the windows xp pro and router in one end of the house for my wife,the laptop in the living room for my grand daughters,and the linux mint in the garage for me.
i may have to fire the mint and ride xp pro
thanks again for your help

#4 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

Please give me a break down list of the models of all PCs connecting to the wifi. with their details of Operating system and whether or not they connect via wifi or wired connection.

for example:

dell optiplex gx240   windows xp  no wifi  ethernet works (for the wife, wired to the router)

dell inspiron e1505    Linux Mint 12  no wifi    ethernet works (garage)

Hp DV6000   windows vista Wifi works ethernet works (grandaughters')

I am just a litttle confused. If you could paint the picture a little, that would help. Thanks

#5 car 54

car 54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:22 AM

ok<br />1.microsoft windows xp professional,version 5.1.2600 service pack 3 build 2600. hewlett-packard compaq<br />model HP d220 mt (dpo72a)wife`s computer connected to the WGR614v10 wireless router,it connects ok with the ethernet cable to the internet.<br /><br />2.DELL INSPIRON 1525 windows vista home basic 32 bit operating system.(grandaughters) laptop connected wireless to the wireless router in the bedroom.(works fine) out in the garage too.<br /><br />3.HEWLETT-PACKARD PAVALION 500.this is the computer i had problems with in the past and got help on bleeping computers to put linux mint 11 os on this computer because we never could get the windows xp professional back on it.this computer works ok connected to the router<br />but this is the one i wanted to make wireless for the garage<br />i tried to make one of them wireless with a flash drive also<br />thanks for lisening to me ramble on anyway

#6 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:56 AM

Is the Pavillion 500 a desktop? Unless the desktop came with wifi or you are plugging a USB wifi adapter, it will not work.

Please be sure that your computer is wireless capable first. Let me know what you find out.

#7 car 54

car 54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

yes,the pivillion 500-P9859A-ABA-533W is a desktop
i don`t know how to check for wireless capability

thank you for helping me.

#8 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

I just looked up the specifications. The Pavillion 500 computer doesn't have wireless capabilities. That is an easy fix. Just look on Ebay or soemthing for a USB wifi adapter. You can go throught the effort of installing an on board pci card, but don't bother. The USB ones are super cheap and easy. Let me know how you make out. I bet after you plug it in, you could probably just run a wired connection to the PC and the Debian Package Manager will find and maybe even install a generic driver for you.

I have bought a few cheap Chineese USB adapters and they worked excellent with Linux! Alot better than Windows most of the time.

If you need help finding one, send me a personal message or otherwise personal message me when you get an adapter and I will help you install it if need be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users