Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win8 64 Bit?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dbjorck

dbjorck

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:59 AM

Hi!

I just discovered yet another thing Windows 8 has short-changed me with. I used to have Windows 7 64 bit, and have a 64 bit processor. After upgrading to Windows 8, I noticed it wasn't using all resources; only half the RAM for instance. After looking around, I found that it had installed 32 bit Windows, not 64 bit. There was no choice, so I assumed it automatically selected the optimum one.

Now how do I go from 32 bit to 64 bit???!!! If I try to download it from Microsoft, it says it is 'not available in my country' - which is Denmark. Even though what I want to download is the English version; NOT the Danish version...

Brgds

Danny

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:42 AM

This is a strange one. From what I understand, upgrading Windows 8 automatically upgrades to the same bit type you were previously using. In other words, you had no choice. If you were 64-bit you upgraded to 64-bit. If you were 32-bit you upgraded to 32-bit.

Are you sure you were not a 32-bit version of Windows 7? If so, I would call MS directly and see what they can do for you.

#3 dbjorck

dbjorck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:06 AM

Hi!

Yes, 64 bit Windows 7 - says so clearly on the CD. And the processor is 64 bit so I don't understand how they think it would be a good idea to install a 32 bit version on that. I bought the PC specifically to upgrade from 32 bit Vista to 64 bit Windows 7. I still have it installed on a separate partition, and it is faster than Windows 8.

I don't have a support plan with Microsoft.

Brgds

Danny

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:14 AM

They will provide free support for an issue like this. Tell them its installation problems.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8#section_9

Yes. Your upgrade comes with 90 days of no-charge support from Microsoft, whether you buy the upgrade as a DVD from a store, or as a download from the web. The 90-day period begins after you install and activate Windows 8. Note: Telecom or other access fees may apply.

#5 dbjorck

dbjorck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

Thank you!

Yes, to my astonishment, they did provide support! Except for first getting this hilarious message when contacting their chat support: 'Thanks for your patience. You may have reached us outside of our online chat hours of operation:24/7 support'

Solution is to reinstall 64 bit Windows 7 and then upgrade to Windows 8 - they provided me with download links for both. There is no upgrade path from Windows 8 32 bit to Windows 8 64 bit... I still think that Windows 8 is terribly unfinished.

Brgds

Danny

Edited by dbjorck, 13 March 2013 - 10:16 AM.

#6 dbjorck

dbjorck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

Oh, and the reason for the problem was that I had been running the Consumer Preview before, which was only 32 bit.

Brgds

Danny

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

Oh, and the reason for the problem was that I had been running the Consumer Preview before, which was only 32 bit.

Ahh..that makes a lot of sense! Thanks for sharing your solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users