Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to reinstall Windows 7 on N5010

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Subah

Subah

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:58 AM

Hi,
Kindly guide me in a situation..i have Dell N5010 with genuine Windows 7.
But there was no disc provided with it. i want to reinstall my window now and i don't know how.
when i tried it..it asked for disc and all i got is recovery disc that it said is not what it require..
Please Guide
Regards
Subah

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:27 AM

Hi Subah :welcome:

Please try checking the laptop if it came with a recovery partition. A recovery partition is what OEM builders nowadays have design laptops to be able to restore and backup your files during this procedure and create a set of recovery discs in case (only in Windows) the hard drive fails. The recovery partition is either accessible on advance menu or by Windows itself. Can you boot to Windows? If not, on early boot up or on the Dell Logo, Press F8 (or check the manual for similar function keys) to access the Factory Image Restore. Do you need the files that are currently stored in the Hard drive?

Edited by jhayz, 13 March 2013 - 02:29 AM.

Tekken

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

Just to further elaborate what jhayz said.

Here is your computer's setup manual:  Inspiron 15 Intel (N5010) (PDF format)

• Arrow down to page 62 - "Restoring Your Operating System."  You have a few options.  
  • As recommended by jhayz, please backup any important files before proceeding with either a Full Recovery or a DataSafe Recovery, just to be on the safe side.

Good luck

Regards,
Brooks

#4 Subah

Subah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

Tekken and brooks thanks for the favour..I tried as guided by you people but didn't find option of keyboard layout.. attached the screen shot..now what to do..secondly I will be really thankful if you make me understand things in easy terms or to be precise in lay man term because of me being an ordinary user with not much technical term knowledge :)

Edited by Subah, 13 March 2013 - 11:02 AM.

#5 Subah

Subah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

Screen shot

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

Subah,

It looks like you might not have a recovery partition on your hard drive.

all i got is recovery disc

Try below: (Make sure to backup any important documents before proceeding as this method with delete all of your files)

If you have a recovery disc, then you need to restart the computer with the recovery disc in the DVDROM drive.  

• At the Dell logo, tap the F12 key to bring up the Boot Menu.
  • Select your DVDROM drive and press <Enter>.  This should start the recovery disc.
  • Watch for a message that states something to the effect  "Press any key to boot from DVDROM drive" and press <Enter>.
  • Follow any on screen instructions to complete the recovery.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 Subah

Subah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:38 AM

As mentioned already I don't have disc..they said its has windows 7 inbuilt

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:03 AM

Is your Windows laptop still bootable or not? What issues that makes you want to reinstall your Windows 7? The only workaround to obtain a set of recovery discs is by ordering them thru Dell or buy a full Windows 7 edition.

Tekken

#9 Subah

Subah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:35 AM

Its working..but when I use some USB it gives error when inserted on other device..more over certain error appears and the laptop restarts its self.. I want to format it completely and install windows with new start.
2ndly that's the issue..I paid extra for its being genuine windows 7..it has mark ov windows 7 genuine.. than why I need to buy the CD again..it must be some where inside it..
I want your help to locate it or at least let me know how to use it

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

The only point of buying another Windows 7 disc is that the laptop has no recovery partition to restore it from factory default.  Can you go to Control Panel - System and Security - Administrative Tools and look for Event Viewer. Click on Windows Logs - System. Check for any Logs referring to the USB errors and post the Event ID with Details and information. Do you experience any bluescreens?  See also disabling auto restart so a bluescreen with error codes will appear next time it restarts. Post the complete error log if the BS appears. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm

Download MiniToolBox and select
List Last 10 Event Viewers, List Installed Programs and List Users, Partitions and Memory Size.
A notepad will open then copy-paste the report on your next reply.

Tekken

#11 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

Hello Subah,

Sorry for the possible miscommunication.

In your first post, you stated:

i have Dell N5010 with genuine Windows 7.
But there was no disc provided with it. i want to reinstall my window now and i don't know how.
when i tried it..it asked for disc and all i got is recovery disc that it said is not what it require..

I interpreted the above to mean that you did have a "recovery disc."  While Dell may have provided no disc when you purchased the computer, most newer computers offer a way to make a recovery DVD by way of included software.   Can you please confirm that you have no discs for this computer.

If no discs, can you please see if your computer has software for making a restore DVD:
  • Click Start -> All Programs -> Dell.
  • Explore all Dell categories looking for Recovery options.  
  • There should be an option to create one set of Recovery DVDs (possibly a Recovery USB flash drive).  
  • Please let us know.

Regards,
Brooks

#12 Subah

Subah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:13 AM

Tekken no i don’t face blue screen, the errors usually come in grey screen. Secondly most ov the time while i start laptop it says start up fail press f1 etc or says battery cannot be recognized..These are bunch ov issues i am facing. More over there is no log for USB error but for Bluetooth usb..i am attaching the image. Please check

Brooks i don’t have disc for the computer but i had recovery disc but i don’t know how to use it to re install windows, please guide

#13 Subah

Subah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:17 AM

Please check

#14 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:06 AM

Brooks i don’t have disc for the computer but i had recovery disc but i don’t know how to use it to re install windows, please guide

Follow the instructions in Post #6.

Edited to addI think that there is some confusion with terminology.

A Recovery disc is a circular, plastic CD or DVD  that may be made by the user from software included on the computer or may be supplied by the manufacturer of the computer upon purchase.  It can be used to return the computer to factory condition.

A Recover partition is a hidden, dedicated area on the computer's hard drive that can be used to return the computer to factory condition.

Which one of the above do you believe that you have?

Edited by Artrooks, 17 March 2013 - 07:26 AM.

Regards,
Brooks

#15 Subah

Subah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

Brooks yes I understand that DVD is a round plastic creature but it was asked to recover something on DVD for later use before i first started my device. I followed it and did same. Thought its windows 7 recovery disc. But now I realised its just a back up ov system that moment. Anyway I tried following the step u asked and as I selected DVD drive, windows started in a normal way saying "starting windows" and with no option or anything its logged in.
Attaching the snap shots

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users