Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help deleting unwanted images after doing a complete system recovery......

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 squirt4368

squirt4368

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:33 PM

Okay, I have a 2009 Gateway FX series pc with Vista [64 bit]. I just recently had to do a complete system recovery which went fine, no problem. I then proceeded to restore my files via Seagate external hard drive and that's where the problem lies. My files, yes, are there, albeit a mess in no particular folder. However, what I found were thousand upon thousands of unwanted images that are parts of games, logos, arrows, etc. ...crazy stuff. It's as if the programs had been dissected into a 'parts is parts' smorgasbord.  I have literally spent the past few days deleting over 10,000 images and still going. They were placed in Windows Photo Gallery as well as my 'program files'. Even the 'printer' copy image, magnifying glass image, 'exclamation' icon, yellow pages icons. As far as the games go, there are  weapons, both in color and bk/wht,    backgrounds, clothes, hair, eyes, face, bodies, then there are templates that looks to be from Microsoft Office. Just every image possible. Not quite what I had in mind when doing a backup. LOL.

The question I have is this:

First off, there are still approx. 60 images where I have been 'denied permission' to delete.  Why?

I am the sole person using the computer and no password has been set. 

Also, I turned the 'user account control' off to make deleting easier.

So why can't I delete these and is there a way around it? 

Second question, any idea what caused this?

And what should I do to prevent this in the future?

I did submit this problem to Seagate a little while ago but haven't heard any thing yet.

Just trying to figure out what the heck is going on.

Are there better ways to do a back up which won't allow this crap to happen?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice~

Squirt

P.S. Here is just a few of the images that I'm not 'allowed' to delete or drag....

And yes, I checked my games to make sure they are running okay. 

Attached Files

• Attached File  113.JPG   142.06KB   1 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:47 AM

Most likely you have copied the whole hard drive including the Windows Vista OS to the seagate external. The Windows files are not easily removed as they are protected. Its like making an internal drive with windows files and turning converting to external drive and trying to delete Windows but get access denied. Try this http://www.snapfiles.com/get/fileassassin.html

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users