Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC random "kalaha game" drop sound?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Pajajn

Pajajn

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

My laptop making random single time sound for a second sometimes ?  sounds like when you drop one plastic ball in the familygame "kalaha". Youtube video

Anyone knows what this might be?  i checked for bad sectors and did some tests with Seatools and Hardisk sentinel pro and they came up empty

So what might randomly cause the strange sound coming once in  a while :radioactive: Sounds like its coming from beneth the mousepad or in the middle but im not sure

Every answer is more than welcome and im unsure if the thread is in the right position though i need fast answers if there is anything serious that could damage the files on the harddrive

Best regards everyone

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:29 PM

Hi -

Do you have a CD or DVD stuck in the computer ??

It sounds like it is not engaging correctly .............. If not then I do not know what it could be -

#3 Pajajn

Pajajn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:00 PM

Hi Noknojon :) Uhm no and the 1 second click came when i rebooted pc upon BIOS too by the way.

When i try to hear it sounds like its coming from around ENTER/Space bar between that area if my ear not fooling me if that could be to any help?

*EDIT*  I recorded the sound with my phone but unable to upload it in a few hours....  really annoying and by telling of the sound when ive listened on youtube it isnt a "normal" failing harddrive sound.

Its just a single short click sound that appears randomly and sometimes it could be away for some hours.

Atm im running a scanner program and the PC managed to freeze 3-4 times in just a 3 minutes period? never happened before

Edited by Pajajn, 12 March 2013 - 10:07 PM.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

Hi -

The area that you mention is (at least on my Toshiba laptop) around the end of the CD tray -

Can  you please list your Make and Model, as I might find a manual to "see inside" your computer.

Thank You -

EDIT -

What scan were you running when it froze ??

Edited by noknojon, 12 March 2013 - 10:56 PM.

#5 Pajajn

Pajajn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:02 PM

Okay sure it's an HP ProBook 4510s special components so not the original inside but

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT20L cd/dvd drive
FUJITSU MHZ2160BH G2 HDD

#6 Pajajn

Pajajn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

Wtf i noticed i get several errors when PC freezes for some seconds

"The ring buffer that stores incoming mouse data has overflowed (buffer size is configurable via the PS/2 mouse properties in device manager)."
i8042prt
*EDIT

EXAKT SAME PROBLEM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-disks-passing-smart-tests-but-still-giving-problems.176225/

=/ anyone knows, it came recently in the week

Edited by Pajajn, 12 March 2013 - 11:25 PM.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:37 PM

Hi

YouTube Video - Watch mainly at 2.33 mins - 4.00  mins and 7.50 mins(HDD) -

This shows several things - The 7.50 mins will show where the HDD is located. Is this the noise area ??

#8 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:22 AM

In case this is a HD acting up, make sure you have a backup of all your important data.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#9 Pajajn

Pajajn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

Made backup and uploaded the strange noise on Youtube so you could hear it by yourself. It's a kinda "rare" click noise by my experience :smash:

I also have some information
1. Sound never appears when Benchmarking with HD Tune, starts right after i stopped it.
2. Reallocated Event Count WARNING? http://postimage.org/image/zczezxbyh/full/
3. Video + noise

#10 Pajajn

Pajajn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:45 AM

Volume disk error check was unable to complete at Phase 2

GMER shows: GMER 2.1.19155 - http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit quick scan 2013-03-13 16:43:37
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 -> \Device\Ide\IdeDeviceP0T0L0-3  rev. 149,05GB
Running: wwwzypp0.exe; Driver: C:\DOCUME~1\HP\LOCALS~1\Temp\kftcqfoc.sys

---- Disk sectors - GMER 2.1 ----

Disk  \Device\Harddisk0\DR0  sector 0: rootkit-like behavior

---- EOF - GMER 2.1 ----

I think my laptop is full of mystery...... :smash: :smash:

#11 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,705 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

I think you should read-out the SMART data of your harddisk for any warnings. Wikipedia has a list of tools for this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_S.M.A.R.T._tools

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Senior Handler

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#12 Pajajn

Pajajn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:46 PM

Now the click noise has been away for several hours. Thank you Stevens ive already tried HDD sentinel Pro and HD tuneup.

HD Tuneup found warnings on: Reallocated Event count while HDD Sentinel showed it as OK always passes :smash: ?

In this very moment the click came back very tiny noise of it but still there though. Im running Ashampoo HDD control to find out what it says too. Gonna go into BIOS and disable some unused devices like CD drive and see what it gives

Any further tips are very welcomed since the problem persists and i dont have a clue about it. Any answers on the error messages i described in above posts from EventViewer?

Citate:
"The ring buffer that stores incoming mouse data has overflowed (buffer size is configurable via the PS/2 mouse properties in device manager)."
i8042prt

#13 Pajajn

Pajajn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

Finally the PC booted up.....  i decided to run a HDD self test BIOS thing from HP which took forever. After that the PC was super slow it took almost 5 minutes to just login. When the pc was logged it just BSOD instantly with "Bad Pool Caller"  and never got that before. When i booted 2nd time it went abit quicker and right now the PC is working flawlessly good again somehow no errors or slowdowns?

HD tuneup : Reallocated Event count warning (yellow)
HD sentinel : Reallocated Event count: OK never failed (green)
Seatools: all ok
Ashampoo HD tester: 99% Healthy 100% performance

What the f*ck is going on with this laptop

#14 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,705 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

The sound you recorded sounds to me like the drive head hitting the "bumper" at the end of its traject.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Senior Handler

#15 Pajajn

Pajajn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

Okay is it dangerous? Now thé clicking has been away for hours.

What about Hdd reallocation event Count on 1/4 testers. Also thé gmer sniffed something up is it worth making a thread for scanning thé pc?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users