Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lightning Struck House

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cylon Centurion

Cylon Centurion

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but came here because I have a question that could use an answer.

About two years ago I was running a Dell XPS 210 system when my house was hit by lightning, specifically at the meter on the side of the house. The result was 4 blown circuit breakers, 3 dead tvs, several dead lamps, two broken automatic garage doors, and a few other big ticket items. Included was the 210 system. After the incident it wouldn't boot up or pretend to power on for even a moment, no response, nothing. I removed my hard drive and have been accessing it through an external reader on another system for some time and all my data is there.

My question is: Just as opinion, would you think it is just the power supply that is busted or perhaps the motherboard and maybe some other hardware? Nothing is blackened, looks like it was exposed to high voltage or temperatures; it all looks good.

I'm looking to order a new power supply this week and am hoping I don't need any other hardware, but I'm not entirely sure.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

If you cant visibly see any other damage, then the only way to be sure would be to put another PSU in it and find out. PSUs often have overvoltage protection, for that very reason, but they don't always work that well, especially with OEM systems. Try it and find out, worse comes to worse you can just return the PSU.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Cylon Centurion

Cylon Centurion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

If you cant visibly see any other damage, then the only way to be sure would be to put another PSU in it and find out. PSUs often have overvoltage protection, for that very reason, but they don't always work that well, especially with OEM systems. Try it and find out, worse comes to worse you can just return the PSU.

Okay, thank you, Patriot11! Ordered a new power supply so we'll see what happens. Thank you for the response!

Edited by Cylon Centurion, 12 March 2013 - 07:41 PM.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

Hi

I agree with The_Patriot11. Since it didn't kill the hard drive, the motherboard has a good chance of being okay.

Let us know what happens.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users