Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did I kill everything on my hard drive? Need help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mnemonik23

mnemonik23

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

Trying not to panic, but here it goes:

- hard drive on HP laptop went bad (can't boot in Windows 7), HP test shows replace hard drive

- hooked up the laptop HDD into my PC via adapter

- Here is where I made a stupid mistake: instead of just opening a dirve as I was able to see it and copy the files over I selected Windows option to scan and repair drive and aslo option to fix bad sectors. Windows did some scanning and i got the window you need to format your drive :smash: I of course did not and now i cannot even open this drive as partion is showing as RAW

- found a post about Parted Magic and how to fix RAW partition

- ran quick serach in Parted Magic for my bad drive and it shows HPFS - NTFS

- selected "p" option to browse for files - "No file found, filesystem may be damaged"

- started deeper search, which is running now but afraid it won't help either.

Are my files gone for good? Anything can be done to restore them? Please help...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

Hi

How'd the Deeper Search end up?

James

#3 mnemonik23

mnemonik23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

Deeper search found 3 more partitions and one of them has [RECOVERY] status and this is the only parttion that I can browse with "p". However, it looks smaller and I do not see all of the files in it. I see Windows folder, but no Program Files for example...

Is this the one I need to change to "P" ?

photo1cmm.jpg

photo2lf.jpg

photo3uv.jpg

Edited by mnemonik23, 12 March 2013 - 09:55 PM.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

Hi

In the last picture that you posted, when you pressed 'p' for the first NTFS partition, did it say "No file found, filesystem may be damaged"?

We can try a couple of things.

First try running Testdisk again.
Open the terminal if you closed it.
Type testdisk and press enter.
Choose No Log and hit enter
Make sure that the right disk is highlighted
Choose Proceed and hit enter
Select Intel and hit enter
Select Advanced and hit enter

IF YOU DO NOT SEE THAT FIRST NTFS PARTITION then stop here and let us know

Make sure that the big NTFS partition is highlighted and
Select Boot and hit enter
I'd like to see a picture of the resulting screen before giving you further instructions.

James

#5 mnemonik23

mnemonik23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

Thanks James - please stand by - trying now. Thanks!!!

To answer your fisrt question: "In the last picture that you posted, when you pressed 'p' for the first NTFS partition, did it say "No file found, filesystem may be damaged"? - yes, I get "No file found, filesystem may be damaged"

#6 mnemonik23

mnemonik23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:24 PM

Looks I see second partition, not the first one:

photo4lf.jpg

And this is when I select Boot on that partition:

photo5mwe.jpg

Edited by mnemonik23, 12 March 2013 - 10:24 PM.

#7 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

At this point it looks like there is some damage to the drive that is affecting the file system.

Since you already ran TestDisk, I figured it was worth a shot to see if there was a chance to rebuild the boot sector for the missing partition and grab the files but it's not going to let us do that.

The more you use it, the more chance of it going completely bad so if the data is very important, you should consider making an image of it before trying anything else or sending it to a professional recovery service.

If you want to make an image, let us know. You'll need a drive with enough free space (350GB).

If you want to move forward and attempt to get the data (you'll need enough free space on another drive to recieve the recovered data) try one of the paid products with a free trial like GetDataBackNTFS or Restorer Ultimate or any of the others. They'll tell you for free what data can be recovered and then you pay to unlock the program (usually less than $100US).

You can also try Photorec, which is included with TestDisk for a raw recovery that will not get the filenames or directory structure.

Let us know what you end up doing.

James

#8 mnemonik23

mnemonik23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

James, I sent you a PM

#9 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

I don't really like to do stuff through PMs.

I either help publicly for free or privately for $$$ :)

That said, an image is just a file that has every bit of data on the hard drive in it. I like to use GNU ddrescue to make images because of how well it handles bad sectors and the way it prioritizes the good parts of the drive so that it goes after the bad parts last (which can cause more damage so it's good to do them last).

Then you can try to repair the filesystem or recover files from the image without any physical damage getting in the way like it does when you try to recover or repair the damaged hard drive. The damaged hard drive will usually continue to get worse if you keep attempting to recover/repair it.

Also, you can make a copy of the image and try something risky on it and if it fails and destroys the image, no problem. You still have the original image to try more stuff.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users