Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Size of Flash Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

Hello
I am considering buying an Acer Predator AG3620-UR12. Unfortunately it only comes with Win 8.
My question is I see it comes with a 1 T standard 7200 drive but it also comes with what's advertised as a 16 gig flash drive. Is 16 gigs enough or if not is it something I could easily upgrade after purchase. All other computer specs I see usually show a larger flash memory drive.
My current computer now has a 750 gig drive with Win 7 and I bought a Crucial 60 gig drive with the appropriate software. Works great and really improves boot up and response speed

Thanks much
Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jprex0175

jprex0175

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

The 16gb  flash drive is an external disk which you can use to put your files and carry them this is not an internal component which you can upgrade later, the 60gb on your other computer is an SSD hard drive to speed up your computer boot up, the 16gb flash drive and your current 60gb drive are different.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:45 AM

The function of the 16GB SSD is listed purely as storage of system state for rapid reboot:

"thanks to the 16GB SSD drive that stores the current PC state just as you left it. Pop back on your PC and any Websites, emails or docs you had open are instantly restored - no more waiting!"

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-AG3620-UR12-Gaming-Desktop/dp/B00ANHDSW2

Edit: also, all the specs I've found show 2TB HDD storage.

Edited by Platypus, 13 March 2013 - 02:48 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:21 AM

The function of the 16GB SSD is listed purely as storage of system state for rapid reboot:

"thanks to the 16GB SSD drive that stores the current PC state just as you left it. Pop back on your PC and any Websites, emails or docs you had open are instantly restored - no more waiting!"

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-AG3620-UR12-Gaming-Desktop/dp/B00ANHDSW2

Edit: also, all the specs I've found show 2TB HDD storage.

As stated it's an SSD drive. Unless I am missing something. Would that be able to be upgraded to a larger size drive? Or is it's purpose not exactly the same as a typical SSd with conventional drive.  And yes I did mean a 2T drive  Thanks

Another unit has less phyical memory (12gig) but a 128 SSD   This one has 32 gig memory but the 16gig SSD or flash memory. SSD IS flash memory correct??

Tom

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:45 AM

There doesn't seem to be much technical information on the system, but by description the small SSD is a dedicated drive for the single purpose of saving system state. I don't expect it should be seen as expandable for other purposes. It's possible though that a larger SSD could be added, depending on if there are spare SATA ports.

I'd think systems with 128GB or larger SSDs will probably be using them for system drives. And yes, the SSDs  that are generally sold are flash memory devices.

Edited by Platypus, 13 March 2013 - 06:46 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:03 AM

Ok Thanks for the replies. :-) There is a hot swap drive bay like I have on my Gateway FX6710

Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users