Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

csrss.exe - Blank Description - Win 7SP1

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nevermore507

nevermore507

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

Hello all,

This is a work laptop but I'm not very confident (ok, not at all :)) that my IT group can resolve this so I came here. BC.com helped me out a few years back so here I am.

I was reviewing my running processes and noticed csrss.exe didn't have a description. I know this can be used by the OS, but when I tried to create a dump file, I got an access denied error. I can create a dump for every other process running. 

I'm running 64bit WIn 7 SP1. If you need any other info, please let me know.

Thanks for your help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

I don't believe you can create a dump file http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/csrss.exe.html

In addition to the explanation in this website it's also under the control of your IT department

#3 nevermore507

nevermore507
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

Thank you cmptrgy! Is there a way to confirm it's a valid process and not malware?

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

I don't have Windows 7 so I don't know the specifics but the principle is the same so consider the following ideas

Look for csrss.exe in your startups

--- I don't believe it should be there unless it's designed to be in your startup list by your IT department or it is an infection

--- If it is there, look at the path and compare it to the reports by our BC startup list

--- According to that website I sent it should be in the C:\Windows\System32 folder

--- Keep in mind though that your IT department is in charge of your computers setup

How about your security programs?

--- Have you run them to ensure the computer is clean?

I suspect the csrss.exe is ok though

Last but not least, is there a reason you are creating dump files and are there issues as to why you are doing that?

#5 nevermore507

nevermore507
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:37 AM

I'll check those suggestions out today. Thanks!

To answer your questions, I tried to create the dump just to see if I could, thinking if I wasn't able to it might be malware. 

I have not run a scan myself, but a daily scan is run from a schedule IT sets up. I figured if nothing was found in the daily, my manual wouldn't find anything either. 

#6 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

The following may help.

Csrss.exe stands for Client Server Runtime Subsystem. The process belongs to the Microsoft Corporation and is used in the Windows operating system for various purposes, including implementing portions of the MS-DOS environment and managing various graphical instruction sets. Csrss.exe is considered an essential system process and thus removing the process will result in serious system failures.

Read more: What Is CSRSS in Task Manager? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8732530_csrss-task-manager.html#ixzz2NQrCxuA7

#7 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:00 AM

Csrss.exe,winlogon.exe runs under SYSTEM process and not under your USER.So you need to click on Show processes from all users to see its description

Get the help of process explorer to get a idea of it

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

It should show you the path and also its details.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users