Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

adobe flash player - blocking content

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sniper8752

sniper8752

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

It seems like this keeps on popping up on my videos.  I click deny, and it seems like sometimes it doesn't even do anything by clicking the deny button.  sometimes it will go away after so many clicks.  is there a way to just totally deny it or change some settings so it does not keep on popping up?

http://tinypic.com/r/2whqjvp/6

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:22 AM

Hi Everyone

I have Windows 7 & I use the Adobe Flash Player and I am having the same issue,,,,,everytime I look at a video I get a pop up asking me if I will allow Adobe Flash Player to store information on my computer,at first I ignored it because I thought it may be a fake as it is a stupid looking white background & it has 2 buttons(accept or deny),,,,,when I right click it says about Adobe & brings me to the Adobe sight so I click deny & it still does not go away

What is this?What does it want to store & how do i make it go away?

Thanks for any & all help

Sincerely,Kwik

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

#3 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:59 AM

What is the Adobe message if you click on the question mark (?) in top, right corner?

Communicate with Internet | Flash Content

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#4 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:19 AM

Hi Tulsa

Nothing,I click on it & nothing happens ,I did click on your link & it seems reasonanble to give permission but i do not see a diagram to make me feel comfortable in knowing this is actually from Adobe                                                                              Thank you,Kwik

Edited by newbleeping, 08 April 2014 - 07:30 AM.

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

#5 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:24 PM

Have a look at the: Adobe - Flash Player : Settings Manager.  In particular:

#6 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:17 AM

Blessings FlannelBack

Thank you ,I set them & denied access to store info or to access microphone,etc,,,,,is this what I want to do ,,,does it interfere with anything

Thank you.Kwik

#7 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:57 PM

Denying access to the microphone won't cause problems.

Denying storage on a global basis may cause flash to not play on some sites.  And if you've placed a check-mark in the "Never Ask Again" box, you won't be ask when a site requests permission for storage.  Permission will simply be refused(blocked).  Then you may be asking yourself "Why won't this play?"

With some sites the video will play whether or not storage is allowed.  In other cases storage is required before the video will play.

What you might try is, setting globle storage to 10KB(using the slider) and un-check "Allow third-party content to store data on your computer."  Also, un-check "Never Ask Again".  See how that works out for while.  You may find that you need to increase the amount of storage or allow third-parties or both.

I have mine set to:

• 100KB
  • "Never Ask Again" is un-checked
  • "Allow third-party Flash content to store data on your computer" is check-marked.
  • "Store common Flash components to reduce download times" is check-marked.

The Windows "Control Panel" has a "Flash Player Settings Manager" too, and it's settings will over ride the ones set via the Adobe Settings Manager page.  But it is not as flexible.  Any settings you make via the Adobe page will be reflected in the Settings Manager in the Control Panel.

At the end of the day(or session), I'll run Ccleaner to remove the junk files that have accumulated, including the flash cookies(the so called flash evercookies too).

If you use Ccleaner you will need to check what Flash cookies it is about to remove.
To do this, after you click the "Analyze" button, in the right window pane, double-click on "Multimedia - Adobe Flash Player".  You'll be looking for cookies ending in "settings.sol", these two in particular:

• "#s.ytimg.com\settings.sol"
  • "#player.ooyala.com\settings.sol"

The path names will be quite long so you will probably need to side scroll the list to see the actual cookie name.
You'll want to right-click on these and select "Add to Exclude list".  That way Ccleaner won't remove them.  You'll only have to do this one time.

You probably should not do the following until you have the Flash Player settings the way you want them.

If you're using Firefox, something else that can be done is setting the "Shockwave Flash" plugin to "Ask to Activate".
From the "Tools" menu:

• Select "Add-ons" or press the (Ctrl+Shift+A) key combo instead of using the "Tools" menu.
  • On the left, select the "Plugins" tab.
  • Select/highlight the "Shockwave Flash" plugin.
  • On the right is a drop down menu, select "Ask to Activate"
  • Close the tab/window.

Those steps don't have anything to do with Adobe's flash permission settings.  What they will do is prevent flash content from automatically playing.  The content will only play once you click on the play button and either select "Allow" or "Allow and remember".  "Allow" is a "this one time", "Allow and remember" is a persistant per site setting.

#8 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:37 PM

Hi FlannelBack

Gee,thanks alot,,,,,I am still really trying to comprehend a lot of this,,,,I am pretty much a novice,the first t7ime I ever sat behind a computer was back in July -LOL     I am still not fully understanding cookies & what exactly they do & for what purpose(I suppose advertising ?)

I will have to read more I think ....thanks,I will start by setting mine like yours & see how that works

Sincerely,Kwik

#9 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:23 PM

My apologies, I threw to much out and it was dis-jointed at best.

Main thing is to leave the "Never Ask Again" option un-checked for the global settings.  If you come across a site that you do not want to allow storage, it can be dealt with later.

If you do use Ccleaner, any problems it may cause with Flash storage(flash cookies) we can take of if necessary.  So, just run it as you normally would, that is if you use it all.

Since your settings will be the same as I have mine, you won't be seeing that "Allow", "Deny" pop-up anymore.  Or should I say, you shouldn't see it anymore.

#10 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

Hi Again Flannelback

I just want to say"thank you"......I understand that I don't ever want it to "Never Ask Again" for the global .....see,I don't really know who I do not want to allow storage,,,,,I do not do a whole lot of stuff ,I come here & a Christian Forum(don't like chatrooms).,my emails & a couple of Bible sites & alot of googling ........I do not do games or even music & movies-just a lot of reading ........the only time I run into this stuff is when someone in the forums posts videos & sometimes YouTube

Yes,since I did my settings like yours I have not gotten the pop -up and I do not use Ccleaner(I do not even know what it is-lol)

I appreciate you explaining so I could follow,very nice of you to take the time

Gratefully-Kwik

Oh,one more question ,I did ask in the firewall forum which I think was the wrong place,I don't get the Peer Assisted Network ,that is this subject-right?What do you set yours as,if I may ask?

Edited by newbleeping, 10 April 2014 - 09:12 AM.

#11 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:34 PM

My "peer-assisted networking" is set to "Block".  I've never had any need for it myself.  From your description, it doesn't sound like you will need it either.

Don't know if you've seen this or not but here is what/when Adobe says "peer-assisted networking" is useful.  Explains it much better than I can.

What is peer-assisted networking?

Ccleaner is a useful tool for removing junk files such as cookies, temp-files and the like.  But it also has an inherently dangerous feature called a registry cleaner.  The registry cleaner does not run automatically but has to be invoked by the user.  So, as long as one stays away from the registry cleaner option of Ccleaner it is relatively safe to use.

Most of what Ccleaner is used for can also be done with the Windows in-built "Disk Cleanup" utility.

#12 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:01 AM

Hey FlannelBack.

LOL,Quietman gave me the same link you did(PAN)and i just got through reading it before I came on here...........thats more information than I will ever need,huh?

I think I will stay away from the Ccleaner,..............I don't even have any files,I always get rid the cookies with my WinPatrol(is that okay?

Do you have Windows 7also?Just curious,I really like it....even better than the XP

Have a good weekend & thank you-Kwik

#13 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:12 AM

FYI, CCleaner is the only app that can be set up to automatically clean junk files, cookies and recycle bin. I have it set up so it does this each time I boot up. I don't use it for anything else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users