Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Runtime Error 53

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 marcoj

marcoj

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 03:29 AM

Hi Everyone,

Just a little peeved right now. I recently UNinstalled Cox Internet Security Suite (Version ME) from my computer after upgrading to Windows XP, and after the uninstall forced me to restart, I've been having issues. I receive the following error: "AuthUser Init Runtime Error 53". I believe the uninstall removed/ damaged the auserinit.exe file. When I run Autoruns utility, the file can be found though. Can you please let me know how I can resolve this issue without reinstalling Cox Internet Security Suite since I don't have enough RAM to support the XP version at this time.

Thank you :thumbsup:

Marco

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 11:36 AM

Himarcoj.
You comfy in the reg?
First go to your C:\Windows\System32 folder. Make sure "userinit.exe" is there. (not "a"userinit.exe)
If it is, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.
Make sure "Shell" is set to "Explorer.exe" and "Userinit" to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe (not "a"userinit.exe). If either is different, change the value of each to the above, exit the reg and reboot.
If it doesn't fix it, a repair install would be my next choice.

Edited by HitSquad, 04 April 2006 - 11:37 AM.

#3 marcoj

marcoj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 01:13 PM

Himarcoj.
You comfy in the reg?
First go to your C:\Windows\System32 folder. Make sure "userinit.exe" is there. (not "a"userinit.exe)
If it is, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.
Make sure "Shell" is set to "Explorer.exe" and "Userinit" to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe (not "a"userinit.exe). If either is different, change the value of each to the above, exit the reg and reboot.
If it doesn't fix it, a repair install would be my next choice.

Thanks a lot! What other techs couldn't do in a couple of days, you've been able to help me!
I just had to take the "A" off of the string and wala it's fixed! Thanks for all your help!

Marco J

Edited by marcoj, 04 April 2006 - 01:28 PM.

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 02:39 PM

Your welcome. Glad I could help.
You can probably just delete that "a"userinit.exe file now if you want.
It's not an MS Windows file but keep it in the trashcan until you're sure everything functions before you chuck it for good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users