Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Cat 6 Network Cables

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rhaom

Rhaom

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

Ok so...

This time yesterday I had 3 computers connected via Cat5 network cables and they where all working... I have now relaid my cabling to cat cables, 2 of the computers still work perfectly fine but the newest computer in the house now doesnt detect the network.

I have tested the cable with my laptop and it is working fine so I know its not the router or the cable...

The computer which isnt working uses an Onboard ethernet card with a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Motherboard, there is only 1 ethernet driver on their supports and downloads section for this motherboard which is the one I am using... I cannot find a newer realtek driver to test and am lost for ideas

Please Help Me!

EDIT:

I have just updated my chipset drivers and it still doesnt detect a cable as being plugged in

Edited by Rhaom, 12 March 2013 - 09:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

Just to make sure I understand the problem. You started with CAT5 UTP and upgraded to CAT 6. When connecting the problem computer it does not detect a connection (red X over the network connection). Or does it show connected just not able to find the other PC's or get an IP address?

Make sure your cables are terminated the same at both ends T568A or T568B. You do not want to us a crossover cable between a computer and a switch although routers support MDIX problems it will correct the error with the cable it can cause confusion later on if the cables get changed or moved. Try Reconnecting the computer with the a different cable if possible. Also make sure the locking tab on the RJ-45 jack is not compressed. Gently pry up on the tab and reinsert the plug. If the tab is compressed it wont lock in the connector and it wont properly contact all the pins if the Jack is warn at all. When examining your connectors make sure the Wires are inserted into the connector ALL the way to the end you should be able to see the tip of the wire when looking at the front of the plug. If you have a cable tester check the cable. If the cable test out fine and the computer still wont connect Check the status of the other computers connections and see if the network is running at 10/100/1000 if you right click on the Network connection and click status it will show 1.0 Gbps if its full speed. Next verify the settings on the Newer PC and check under the Advanced Tab- Select Link Speed & Duplex Make sure that it's set to Auto Negotiation. Connect the cable and reboot the computer.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Rhaom

Rhaom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for the response, I forgot to mention I have simply changed Ethernet card and fixed my issues.

You are completely correct with Auto Negotiations though, there is a problem with some onboard gigabyte Ethernet cards and they don't support auto negotiation properly so they are not compatable with CAT6.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:54 PM

thanks for posting your Fix, you have saved myself and possibly many others alot of time troubleshooting

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users