Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disc Drive not working in Windows 8 (virtual or physical)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pdenner

pdenner

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:13 AM

Hi,

I recently noticed that I could neither mount .iso files nor use my disk drive in Windows 8. In device manager it gives me this:

"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)" for my disk drive (hp BD ROM BC-5550H), and it's not showing up in my computer. I also don't have the virtual disc drive that used to be there because I accidentally uninstalled that one instead of the HP one in the hopes that after a reboot, they'd magically work again. Now the virtual disc drive is no longer there.

What can I do to fix this? If possible, I'd rather not muck around with the registry, nor would I like to do a clean install. But, if thats what it takes (and the error code seems to imply this), where do I go from here?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pdenner

pdenner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

Figured it out. Uninstalled the drive in device manager, but instead of rebooting, I scanned for hardware changes instead and it reinstalled correctly. Just mounted an .iso disc and the virtual drive came up too.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

Glad you resolved it...thanks for letting us know.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users