Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I get rid of sticky dust?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CalusBlade

CalusBlade

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:10 PM

I tired using a can of air but didn't do the trick (dust off).  The sticky dust was mostly on the fans and heat sink.  So I used a paint brush and bleach but made sure that after dipping the pain bush it was not dripping and didn't touch any hardware.  after it looked clean I used what was left of the can of air to dry out what ever moister there is. 

But what if stick dusk builds up on something like the mother board or some hard drive.  how do i get rid of it?  Is rubbing alchool safe?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

First, I do not recommend using rubbing alcohol on anything related to electronics because this type of alcohol leaves a residue behind that does not evaporate nor is water soluble. I personally have used Isopropyl alcohol on motherboards and other electronics with satisfactory results.

Isopropyl alcohol is sold in drug stores and grocery stores with a 70% by volume ratio, it does evaporate and leaves no residue behind. 

When I clean out the inside of a computer case, I use the following list of items: A wrist strap worn to prevent static discharge damage, can of compressed air and a toothbrush.

The toothbrush bristles can be trimmed down so the brush fits between the blades of the cooling fans. This removes most of the stubborn, stuck on dust you spoke of quite easily.

You might actually find that using alcohol at all is more of a extra added burden, because you have to waste some time waiting for it to evaporate. Cleaning a dry dust is easier than cleaning a wet or moist one. 

The can of compressed air finishes the job of blowing the loose dust out of the case entirely.

Any time you do any work on the inside of your computer, please be sure to practice the correct procedures that prevent damage to your computer caused by static electricity. It does and can happen. 

Kind regards...

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

I use a small paint brush to loosen/remove dust which blowing can not remove.  Then I blow such off and out of the case.

Louis

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

...The toothbrush bristles can be trimmed down so the brush fits between the blades of the cooling fans. This removes most of the stubborn, stuck on dust you spoke of quite easily....

This is a pro-tip that I have seen used by some of the best techs but have never seen mentioned online (maybe I just missed it). Custom trimming a toothbrush can get you gentle cleaning access to areas that otherwise could only be cleaned by disassembling the pieces to get at the dust/dirt that a blast of air can't remove

James.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users