Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random hangs unrelated to temperature after changing case.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mazrim

Mazrim

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:55 AM

I recently noticed that the temperature in my hard drive enclosure was undesirably high so I opted to buy a new case to sort out my airflow issues. As I was transferring all my components, I felt it would be a good idea to remove all the dust I could with alcohol, microfibre cloths and compressed air, whilst also redoing the thermal compound on both my cpu and gpu.

Since reassembling the machine I have been plagued with random hangs/restarts, mostly without a crash dump or log in event viewer.The odd thing is that they seem to happen during less intensive periods. Examples such as the logon screen, playing music through MPC, idling but having data accessed through a shared drive over the network, the system being moved slightly or removing a usb wireless adapter. On the other hand I'm perfectly capable of playing games or running prime 95 for 5 hours without experiencing any of these problems.

This doesn't appear to be related to heat, as during stress tests the cpu peaks at about 55c and the gpu at 80c. My CPU is overclocked, but has been stable at these speeds for 2 1/2 years previously and as previously mentioned had no issues with a prime 95 test or other intensive applications.

I'm currently running memtest just on the off chance that one of my modules has gone bad, but so far i'm not seeing any errors.

Edit: I just remembered that on a couple of occaisions after crashing during the boot sequence I've been forced to use start up repair to fix missing bootmngr and ntoskrnl, though I assume this is due to corruption from the time the crash happened, rather than an indicator of a cause.

cpu.PNGmemory.PNGspd.PNG

Edited by Mazrim, 11 March 2013 - 04:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mazrim

Mazrim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

Sorry for double posting, but I seem to have solved it myself, it looks like it was just my own stupidity, so I will post my solution to help others who may stumble into this situation and end up here through google.

After reapplying the theraml paste to my cpu I had a difficult time getting my aftermarket heatsink back on at which point a tiny amount of past must have slipped on to the board, causing a short:

thermal%20derp.PNG

Yeah, it's as easy as that to cause yourself a nightmare. My system seems to be stable now after wiping that away carefully with alcohol and a microfibre cloth.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

Feedback appreciated :), we like it when members can resolve their own situations and don't feel cheated :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users