Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question before installing Windows 7 (bad sectors)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shakta

shakta

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:17 AM

Hi,

I am currently running Windows Vista.

The laptop stucks, also in safemode (crcdisk etc)...

I backed up the files I need.

I run check disk from one of the tools in "Hiren CD" and it shows some outputs: "retreving". deleteing , indexing and some errors and mess... (Seems like bad Hard disk).

Questions:

1. Bad sectors - Is it better to make "check disk" before installing the windows 7? Will it change anything?

2. Wipe - Is it better to Wipe hard disk and then installing new OS/Windows 7?

3. Partition - I tried to make new partition also via Hiren CD tools, and it stucks and chowed error - I guess bad Hard disk as well.

Buttom line is - what would be the best flow before Upgrading to Windows 7?

Thanks

Edited by shakta, 11 March 2013 - 03:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

First thing I would do...is run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic  (available at drive manufacturer's website) and ensure myself that the hard drive itself is worthy of any effort to install an O/S.

If it is...then I would simply istall XP, formatting the drive automatically using the Windows install disk.

FWIW:  Bad sectors.  Chkdsk /r attempts to move file data stored in bad sectors...to another location on the drive.  It may not necessarily be able to accomplish this and it does not repair bad sectors.  In fact, wiping the drive doesn't repair bad sectors either...it marks them as bad and avoids using them.  Bad sectors are a concern primarily because they can be indicators of physical problems with the hard drive.

Louis

#3 shakta

shakta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:06 AM

Hey

thanks.

Few question:

1. Why XP and not 7? (It has 3 GB RAM)

2. Its old Tushiba, so which hard disk check? Is there any free hard disk test on web you reccommend?

p.s

I run hard disk check from Hiren CD - it shows one bad sector marked as red, but in total summary it wrote - ZERO(0) damaged sectors... so.....

So whats next?

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 12 March 2013 - 08:56 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

#4 shakta

shakta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:09 AM

By the way - Maybe there is some other issue with computer.

Because after hard disk check finished, the computer doesnt even show welsome windows..... and always reboot.

Anyway:

Besides hard disk and bad sectors - what is reccommend to run in order to fully test hardware?

MEMTEST? Any other tools?

Thanks again

#5 shakta

shakta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:39 AM

I run MemTest and I think results are fine.
Started memtest around 8 hours ago, and so far 0 Errors.
Attached screenshot

Attached Files

Edited by shakta, 13 March 2013 - 03:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users