Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SamSs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 scarshack

scarshack

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:33 AM

Looked in task manger to see whats running and I see something called: SamSs running under services.

I have tried looking to see what it is but I cant find out.

Can someone tell me what it is please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kenzki

kenzki

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:19 AM

well this could be the security Accounts manager service.(SamSs services - svchost.exe). The Microsoft SAM service (Security Accounts Manager) is a protected service that manages users and groups in Windows.

On a 2000/XP/Vista PC or non-domain controller Windows 2000/2003/2008 server, the users and groups account information is stored in the Windows Registry, while on Domain Controller Windows 2000/2003/2008 servers, it is stored in Active Director

The entire security of Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008 is based on users and groups. Everything about Windows is about which user you are logged in as, what security rights you have. which applications are configured for you, what your own user desktop is about, what your "My Documents" is, etc.., etc... To repeat, therefore, everything that you do in Windows is underpinned totally by which user you are logged in as.

In other words, this particular service is the bedrock of Windows - you kill this service and you kill your PC or server stone dead. You won't even be able to login into Safe Mode to go back to a previous restore point. You won't even be able to restart this service - your PC or server will shut down or freeze instantly. It will be the end of this PC or server as you knew it !!

So, if the above was not clear enough, then here it is again : LEAVE THIS SERVICE WELL WELL ALONE !!!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

Pertinent link, http://searchtasks.answersthatwork.com/tasklist.php?File=SamSs .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users