Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Entry Point Not Found, ObjectStublessClient29, ole32.dll

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 frankfrankly

frankfrankly

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:33 PM

Hi,

I am getting the following error(s):

Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point ObjectStublessClient29 could not be located in the dynamic link library ole32.dll

The same box pops up for lsass.exe, userinit.exe and explorer.exe. I can see my desktop and start the task manager but that's it.

I've tried replacing ole32.dll using the recovery console and xPUD, no dice.

Going to run chkdsk /f overnight and then FIXBOOT. The recovery discs I have do not allow me to do a repair reinstall.

Anything else I should try?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankfrankly

frankfrankly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:42 AM

update: ran a partial scan (disk boot sectors and hidden startup objects) with the kapersky rescue disc and a spybot scan with hiren's boot CD... seems clean.

Also noticed that my xp recovery disk doesn't have chkdsk /f. So just running /r, if that makes a difference.

Edited by frankfrankly, 11 March 2013 - 02:43 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,095 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:38 AM

System manufacturer and model?

When did these errors start?  What changes have been made...which may have resulted in the errors?

There are several references to such errors in Windows...most seem to point to a file system problem where the correct version of the Windows file is not found or is damaged.

I would run the sfc /scannow command, using the MS Genuine XP CD as a source for files needing to be replaced.

But...if your system is an OEM (HP, Dell, etc.), then this may not be possible due to the fact that those manufacturers do not provide a Genuine XP CD, preferring to issue recovery CDs.  In such cases, i would search the respective support website for any guidance on such errors.

FWIW:  The chkdsk /r command is superior to the chkdsk /f command and is the preferred command to be used when attempting to repair files.  The chkdsk /r command is a 5-step process, while the chkdsk /f is a 4-step process...chkdsk /f procedures are included in the chkdsk /r process.

FWIW:  Some problems with XP installed files can be overcome by reinstalling SP3 in situations where a MS Genuine XP CD is not available.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 11 March 2013 - 06:39 AM.

#4 sardox

sardox

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:24 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I had this problem myself and found a solution.
The reason for the error is that you attempted to install a VB runtime that had
a version of OLEAUT32.DLL that was too current for XP. In my case, it was an
install routine that had a 2014-dated version that must have come from
Windows 7 or 8. Anyway, here's how you fix it.

Regardless of the errors, you should be able to open a command prompt
in safe mode or you can use recovery console with the install cd to get there.

1. Use Ctrl-Alt-Delete to get Task Manager running.

2. Run "CMD" to get a command prompt.

3. type cd \ to get to root.

4. type dir oleaut32.dll /s (to find all versions on disk)

5. locate a good version, perhaps in dllcache or SP2QFE or SP3QFE directories

(you want one dated 2010 or prior...)

6. copy the good version to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

7. copy the good version to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE

(just for safe keeping)

8. reboot your computer

Problem solved.

#5 Oldtime1

Oldtime1

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:58 PM

Dear Sardox, I am having the same problem with an old dinosaur Dell computer, XP Media Edition, and I tried your suggested fix, but when I try to copy the file as you suggest, I get a 0 files copied, file is in use by another process error. Now what? Thanks for any help.

#6 RokTV

RokTV

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:51 PM

Dear Oldtime1,

It seems that you might have tried to copy the file from from System32. Copy it from System32\dllcache to System32

Type or paste into the command prompt

copy c:\windows\system32\dllcache\oleaut32.dll c:\windows\system32

press enter,

If that doesn't fix it, what version of XP Media Edition are you using, what service pack is installed if any, what version of oleaut32.dll have you got, and have you got the XP Media Edition CD?

Another possibility is downloading the file from a website if you haven't got an XP CD and haven't got a suitable version of the file.

Edited by RokTV, 27 April 2018 - 12:02 AM.

#7 Oldtime1

Oldtime1

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2018 - 07:36 PM

Dear RokTV thank you. Well,I did as asked and got the same response,process cannot access file because it is being used by another process.So I downloaded oleaut32.dll ftom dlldownload (part of the problem may be that I don't have access to my Windows 10 computer until next week) so I downloaded to my phone,copied to usb stick and then tried to copy that to the dell computer,with the same result. Thank you.You may wonder why I am bothering, well,I got a new 3d printer and don't want to wait until next week to try it!
The Dell uses xp media edition,looks like it has SP3,and I don't have any disks or docs,as the computer was a freebie.Thank you again,sorry to bother you.

#8 Oldtime1

Oldtime1

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2018 - 09:11 PM

Hello roktv thank you.

#9 RokTV

RokTV

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2018 - 10:54 PM

Hello,

Is Microsoft Word running? If it is, use the task manager to stop it, then try putting oleaut32.dll  into System32

#10 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 28 April 2018 - 01:01 AM

If I saw an error like that I would use this free program to "look inside" the DLL to see if the function that is reported to be missing is inside the DLL or not:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/dll_export_viewer.html

When i look inside the at the functions inside the Windows XP SP3 ole32.dll I do not see a function called ObjectStublessClient29:

[attachment=204316:1.jpg]

It is also not in the Windows XP SP3 oleaut32.dll (you can look for yourself).

But when I look inside at the functions inside the Windows 7 SP1 ole32.dll file what do I see:

[attachment=204317:2.jpg]

And it is also in the Windows 10 ole32.dll.

So if you are running XP what is the program(s) that are looking for Windows 7/10 functions inside a Windows XP DLL and how can this be?

What will not help you is sfc  /scannow, fixboot or chkdsk since they will not make missing functions magically appear in DLLs where they are not supposed to be.  And with Windows XP sfc /scannow does not "replace missing or corrupted files in the system32 folder" like most people think/claim (it is a myth and you can prove it) and you can prove that and learn what sfc /scannow really does and what it doesn't do with a little test - then you will be smarter than the average bear.

If you want to replace a file that is in use, you either need to do it from the XP Recovery Console or from something like a Hiren's Boot CD.

Since most folks don't seem to have a genuine bootable Windows XP SP3 media to get into the Recovery Console you can make a bootable Hiren's CD (or USB) and you will be glad you did later if you have to fix a no boot scenario with XP.

I can post instructions on how to do that if it is your desire.

Instead of just copying over the top of files I would rename the current file first, then copy in a replacement so you have some way to undo things in case things get worse. 

The big question is why is your XP system looking inside the ole23.dll file for Windows 7/10 functions?

[attachment=204312:3.jpg]

If your system used to work properly what do you think happened to it since the last time it did work properly?

Edited by joseibarra, 28 April 2018 - 09:19 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,095 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2018 - 08:55 AM

Member last onsite 11 Mar 2018 and his two posts were made that day..

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 28 April 2018 - 08:56 AM.

#12 Oldtime1

Oldtime1

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2018 - 06:11 PM

Hello and thanks again. By way of introduction, my name is Roy Locke and I am 64 years old, and have taken an interest in electronics and microcontrollers the last couple of years. I am tending to learn the subjects on an ad-hoc basis, so please excuse the gaps in my education on these subjects.
What happened to the XP is that I was trying to upload software for a pc-based oscilloscope, and a dialog box popped up stating that my files were out of date and would I like to update them. I hit y for yes and that is when the problem started. Since then, when I try to boot the computer, it gets as far as showing the background for the desktop, no icons or start box, and then the error message in question pops up. I am only able to get the command prompt by pressing f8. Nothing else will work , including task manager, oh and of course DOS. I am able to download files with my Android phone, and from there transfer to the XP via USB stick. It has been a long time since I used DOS, hence my struggles. Thanks again for all the help.

#13 RokTV

RokTV

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2018 - 08:33 PM

Hello,

Try to start system restore by putting into the command prompt

C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

#14 Oldtime1

Oldtime1

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:36 PM

RokTV, I tried that, and nothing at all seems to happen, it just goes back to the C prompt.

#15 RokTV

RokTV

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2018 - 11:02 PM

type in dir /s oleaut32.dll

How many oleaut32.dll does the result show, and where are they located?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users