Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with HP desktop constantly freezing and slowed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AWinfield

AWinfield

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

I am new here so I am unsure how I am suppose to post. However I am in desperate need of assistance with my PC. I got my computer late 2010 and never had any serious errors. Recently my computer has been constantly freezing. It would randomly freeze however the mouse would still move and I could sometimes minimize a program. I would try to open task manager but nothing would happen. Every time this happens I have to force reset. I have scanned my computer for viruses with Bitdefender 2013 TS and even ran malwarebytes in safe mode. I have found several viruses/malware but the problem still happens.

Another problem I am having is when the computer goes to sleep there will be no display when I try to wake it up. I will turn on/off my monitor but it will tell me there is no signal. I have unplugged the cables but nothing happens. When this happens I also have to force reset.

I thought that possibly some software I have downloaded may have caused these problems but after uninstalling it would still happen. 

I even reset my computer to factory defaults and still have all these problems.

I read quite a few posts in which recommended to run sfc /scannow in CMD but there were no errors. I ran the tool to check for memory errors and chkdsk. Recently I saw someone with nearing the same issue and they were recommended to reseat their hardware. There was a video by digitalstorm to show how to do this. I ended up only reseating my memory however it didn't clip back in easily. I am slightly scared I messed it up because now my computer is running much slower. I know this was stupid but I was desperate. 

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AWinfield

AWinfield
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:37 PM

I just ran memory diagnostic again and it says no errors so I don't believe I messed up my RAM.

Can anyone help? 

#3 Gero

Gero

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:15 AM

Well if you ran something along the lines of memtest86, and it pasted I would move to testing your hard drive. Go to your hard drive manufacture's website, and get the tools for testing. There could be bad sectors on the drive. Those tests should find them. As for the screen staying black after waking the computer. It sounds like you may be having trouble with your video card. Try reseating the card, and also reinstalling the driver.

#4 AWinfield

AWinfield
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:03 PM

I have ran memtest86 and let it run for about 12 hours with 10 or so passes and no errors. I scanned my hd with the software from western digital and found no errors. I also just reinstalled my video card driver, however I couldn't figure out where it was inside my computer so I don't know if I reseated it. I just unplugged/plugged in what seemed to be it. The computer is still running poorly however. D=

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:20 AM

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Edited by jhayz, 12 March 2013 - 01:21 AM.

Tekken

#6 AWinfield

AWinfield
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:06 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/aZ2qCWLuMAJSuVKiXW0Q8cL

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:47 AM

What PSU brand wattage is the desktop installed with? Can you check the BIOS voltage reading on the amperage of +12 V rail output?

Tekken

#8 AWinfield

AWinfield
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:34 AM

How do I check those things? (Sorry not completely computer savvy)

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:02 AM

First, open the side casing of your desktop and see the printed brand/wattage/rail of your PSU. Then boot to BIOS utility maybe pressing either Esc, Del, F2, etc. depending on the motherboard/desktop model and see the Voltage menu outputs and post them on your next reply.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users