Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Abnormal heat on my computer

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 schridar

schridar

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:56 PM

Hello, i want to thank in advance for all help and advice i could receive. I'm still a novice in the matter of computers. I'll try my best to elaborate the most understandable possible.

Two yesterday went to the closest technical support place. I went to change a broken CD drive for a DVD drive and perform a cleaning of dust. Also to find a fix to the blueish screen that appears when i start pc that checks for files consistensy on C. I have only one hard disk, divided in C and D. This screen appeared more or less 6 days ago, after i updated Avast antivirus to version 8. I had to uninstal the antivirus and replace with Panda Cloud.

The prelude of this is that the CPU was making a unusual noise, i thought it was the fan of the power supply. The sound started sometimes and stopped. By that time it was very dusty so it was noisy too, but this sound was not like any i heard before. The sound lasted for some 3 days, then stopped few days before i sent it to technical support.

The moment i heard this sound i decided to check with Everest home edition the temperatures which i usually do once i notice the sound is louder than normal. Normally i send it to be cleaned when value reaches 60 °c, which is the Aux in Everest. After a cleaning of dust and aplication of thermal paste, the temperatures were normally more or less like this:

I translate, my main language is not english.

Motherboard: 28-30 °C

Processor: 35-45 °C posibly less

Aux: 40-45 °C possibly less

Hard Drive: 35 c possibly less

And the fan of the processor rotated at no more than 2800 rpm

This has always been the normal situation. However, after the day i updated Avast to version 8 and had problems with Word Office which lead me to uninstall the antivirus, i started having software problems like the screen i mentioned before and haven't found solution for. My Hard Drives are ok, i made many tests, but the technician ran a program called ComboFix to see if it deleted something that was causing the problem. Didn't delete anything of significance and the screen kept starting, so he considered this a software damage that could be solved only by a disk reformatting and that it doesn't represent a substancial risk. I'm not convinced about the reformatting.

Now, before i visited the technician and after the Antivirus issue happened, i saw that the heat was not acceptable, at least for me. When i watched videos from a pair of sites i know are safe, the heat increased. The heat of the processor was very unstable, going from 35 °C to 40 next instant, and as i kept watching the video the heat increased to 55 °C. Never reached 60 °C. The Aux, however, reached 60 °C rapidly. I didn't dare to play any game. However the heat was stable once i started watching the videos or browsing. Processor was 50, sometimes 55, and went down once i stopped watching and minimized the browser. Aux was under control too, going from 57 °C to 62 as i remember.

The drama started after i took my pc for a cleaning. The technician used compressed air and took off the dusk from the processor fan and from inside power supply, never oppened to check it thought. I asked a friend and said the air only cleaned 50% of power supply and needed to open it and clean with brush or vacuum. The technician didn't put thermal paste. Then proceeded to turn on the PC, the blue screen appeared again. Once the desktop appeared the system froze. Nothing responded. He turned it off by force i think and took off one of my two RAM memories. I have one of 250Mb and second of 1Gb. After turning on and off he said the one of 1Gb was damaged and didn't work at 100% but still left it in. I accept i have half fault for this situation, i was not careful enough to see what he was doing with his hands inside the CPU.

Now at home i check the temperatures of a suposedly cleaner CPU and i can only browse internet without executing anything else to keep this temperatures:

Motherboard: 47 °C

Processor: 46 °C

Aux: 56-58 °C

Hard drive: 43 °C

This is when i'm writing this, doing not much or when i just watch screen. Once is start doing something like loading new site, or oppening some little program, the heat goes up gradually. The problem starts when i only watch videos. Processor goes up in temperature slowly, up to 60 °C and Aux goes rapidly up to 70 °C. If i don't stop i fear it might reach temperature where computer turns it off itself, i dare not reach that level, so i stop watching. I remember that with lower temperatures, the fan rotated at the max i have seen, 3750 rpm. Now it only rotates at 3245 or less. The sound is same as ever. Speedfan program gives me same readings.

That day the technician turned off some services(as he said) by entering in msconfig and pressing some Fx key on keyboard. Now my antivirus (Panda) and some other programs that started instantly now need to be started by myself, still leaving some services off. Also Left my system to start in mode that i have to select myself to start with Windows XP or safe mode and a third option it says to don't choose.

Aditional information:

-My computer is 7 years old. The technician remarked the quality of the pieces.

-Two years ago i moved to a hotter place, and we are in a hot season.

-I never experienced this in the previous years, despite keep my CPU in a dark place, separated from the floor, but narrow and only uncovered in front and back. I use a stabilizer.

Forgive me for the length of my post, i considered necessary to give as much information as possible. I'm aware that this problem could be caused by many things like hardware, software, electricity, power supply.

Please elighten me.

Edited by hamluis, 10 March 2013 - 06:57 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

Good evening :).

Well...none of the temperatures that you cite...are worthy of undue worry, IMO.

Generally speaking...any temp that is 50 Celsius or less...is not something to worry about.

So I see nothing abnormal with any of the temperatures that you report.

From what I see...a PSU can apparently be opened and cleaned...but the typical use of canned air blown through the PSU out the exhaust vent...is the only thing that I'm willing to do :).  I'm not a technician and I don't want to pretend that I'm one, so I'll move your topic to Internal Hardware for better opinions re opening a PSU to clean it.

I use the method described at eHow, http://www.ehow.com/how_5045654_clean-pc-power-supply.html .

Louis

#3 schridar

schridar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

Thank you for your reply sir. I indeed would be very pleased with having less than 50 °C, however the case is that any action more complex than (for example) writing in Word Office or just browising/reading on internet will make the heat increase. I've reached 80 °C on Aux and 60+ °C on Processor. I'm worried and umpleased because this is unprecedented for my situation.

Edited by hamluis, 13 March 2013 - 06:34 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,416 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

I'm sorry...I skipped over that part about temps increasing while watching videos.

You may still...not have anything to worry about, depending on what model CPU is installed.  Generally speaking, Intel CPUs have a higher max temperature threshhold than AMD CPUs.  I favor AMD processors and anything less than 50 is fine because the max will probably be 60 Celsius or so.  But many Intel processors have a threshhold that may run up to 100 Celsius or so.

So...if you tell me what CPU is in your system...or what model and manufacturer relates to your system (e.g., Dell Inspiron 1545), I can look up the max temperature and see if there should be any concern.

I have no idea what your AUX reading is...I only pay attention to the temperatures of the CPU and the hard drives I have installed (I use the onboard video).

In any case, the personnel here know more about these things than I do...so just standby :).

Louis

Just a note, no need to use the Quote button to reply...just use the black Reply To This Topic button at the upper right of the topic.

#5 schridar

schridar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:08 PM

My procesor is Intel Pentium 4E, 2.66 GHz. I also have 1.25 Gb of RAM in two memories and NVIDIA GeForce 5200 of 120Mb video card.

Well, in the situation i find myself, in case the temperatures are not subject of worry, i would need to stop my usual activities on the computer because i fear the temperatures will just keep going up.

I can't conform with having my computer in this state, on the surface it's clean, maybe only lacking some further cleaning on the power supply, and also could need some thermal paste on the cpu, but something else is not right as i hear a louder sound. As it is right now i have too much computer for the limited activities i'm forced to perform. This has been too sudden for me, i don't want to lose this computer since i lack the means to adquire a new one for the moment.

So far i'm concerned with the heat, the sound and the fan speed. I'm looking for guidance on the matters that could cause this and the possible solutions so i can go to technical support with more knowledge to avoid being a victim of scammers.

I will follow your instructions and wait for the more experienced personel. Thank you very much sir.

Edited by schridar, 10 March 2013 - 11:09 PM.

#6 schridar

schridar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

Excuse me for the double post, i want to report that the heat problem has been solved by disconnecting the obsolete fan of the Hard Drive. This fan kept the HD at 44 °C but once disconnected all the other temperatures from the power supply and processor and the noise of the fans clearly diminished and remain stable.

Now my concern is the Hard Drive, without cooling it slowly, very slowly, goes up in heat.

What's the recommendable temperature for a Hard Drive?

Thank you.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,416 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

Generally...no point in being concerned with a hard where the temp is 50 Celsius or below.  If/when it creeps into the 50-55 range, I start making plans to replace the drive.  Hard drives are cheaper/better/faster each year and I see little point in fretting over drives which are outdated and subject to fail due to excessive heat.

FWIW:  http://www.hard-drive-help.com/hard-drive-temperature.html .

Louis

#8 schridar

schridar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

I see, thank you sir.

My Hard Drive seems to not pass from 49 °C on itself but i will need to find a good fan to be at peace.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,416 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

:thumbup2: , it's your system, do what allows you to use it with confidence :).

Louis

#10 schridar

schridar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

Btw sir.

Do you have experience with fans for hard drives? I mean the ones that get attached right next to the hard drive. Is true those fans generate vibrations that can damage the hard drive?

My old hard drive has spined for years with a pair of fans attached to it (until recently).

Thank you

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,416 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

Well...a long time ago (somewhere in the early 2000s, I think), I actually did try all sorts of things, including hard drive coolers/fans.  I tried these things from a perspective of wanting to know if such really were useful/necessary in desktops.  My conclusion was that they were not since the temperature inside the case was a greater "threat" and I felt that as long as the case had adequate cooling provided...there was no reason to employ fans/coolers for a hard drive. 

An example of the marketing of such (from 2004) is at http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Hard-Disk-Fan/13 .  IMO, such advertising merely took advantage of the tact that a growing number of users...had no idea about the usefulness of products sold to new owners/users of computers.

The manufacturers do not make drives which inherently require cooling, as long as the entire system is properly cooled...that was my conclusion.

If the case is poorly designed and the system overheats, it impacts performance of the system...and I suppose that it could speed up the demise of the hard drive.  An example would be some of those external hard drives which are within enclosures which either have no fan/cooling mechanism or are poorly designed for proper release/alleviation of heat.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 March 2013 - 06:34 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

#12 schridar

schridar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

I see.

Yesterday i decided to remove the lateral wall of the case and place it looking up so the warn air escapes easier.

I was thinking about using a conventional fan to refresh the inside OR replace the obsolete fans of the hard drive.

Those fans were installed since i adquired the computer but i think it will be better to remove them and resort to the first option until i can analize my posibilities and buy a new pc in future.

For now i'm in the labor of cooling the hard drive with my own hands to avoid it passing from 47 °C in this hot weather i experience in my region.

Please provide me with your opinion sir. Thank you.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,416 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

I don't have anything new to add.

I've never used a fan to cool a system...but typically...those who have done so do it because the system (not a hard drive) is running hot.

Louis

#14 schridar

schridar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

In that case i will consider that as my best option for now.

Hamluis, sir, i want to let you know that i'm very thankful to you for your constant advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users