Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Javascript and local storage on website help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 homescool05

homescool05

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

I am trying to use a feature of Iheartkroger.com website - I want to use the shopping list and import the ad - This is possible for most of the thousands signed up with this site but some of us get this error message "Javascript and Local Storage are required to make a Shopping List"

I contacted the site owner and this was her response 

"It it likely a local storage conflict...I have had 2 folks let me know that they are not able to create a list at work and it is b/c their settings are such that they don't have local storage. My tech gal said it is similar to cookies but a newer technology.

I wish that I could help but honestly I have no idea how it all works. Basically the info is saved on the user side ...so if you have any programs or network restrictions it may not work on your computer. I think most up to date browsers support local storage. 

Based on the site here: http://dev-test.nemikor.com/web-storage/support-test/
It looks like there are very few (out of date browsers) which do not support local storage. If you are up to date that should not be the issue.

I hope that helps...also, when using the shopping list for the first time...give it a few seconds to build the list. Sometimes it can take a couple of seconds. Mine always seems to be a bit slower right after I have done any system updates on 
my computer."
I updated my Google Chrome, Firefox and IE browsers to latest as well as Java. I googled the error but it is WAY above my head - I don't know a thing about writing code etc.
HELP!

Optional Information: 
Language (or Software): Javascript
Browser (if necessary): Chrome

Already Tried: 
updated, googled etc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

Not sure there is much you can do about it because as you have already figured out, the problem is on their end. The one thing I will mention is Java and Javascript are not the same thing. A Javascript error is not something you can fix.

#3 homescool05

homescool05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

Thank you - Since I am only one of a few that can't access this or that is getting this error message it makes me think it is my security software or would my router/modem have anything to do with this - I apologize in advance for my ignorance - I can fix a computer but I am a lost ball in high weeds when it comes to programming or code or whatever this is! :smash:

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:13 AM

I suppose you could lower your browser security settings and see if that works.

#5 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

:oopsign: Never mind, I missed the part about updating IE and Firefox.

Edited by FlannelBack, 11 March 2013 - 04:44 PM.

#6 homescool05

homescool05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

THANK YOU for your replies!  I am at a total loss as to WHY I am only one of a few people who can't get this feature to work.  I have changed the settings and updated everything I can think of - it happens in IE; Firefox and Google Chrome!!  I guess this is something there is no answer to! :smash:  :killcomp:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users