Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloning HDD without a CD/DVD drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ace_Vedo

Ace_Vedo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

I have a small Windows 7 netbook computer without a CD/DVD drive.  I want to clone the disk so that I can restore it in case of a disk failure.  I have read the tutorial on cloning, but the method described there relies on having that CD.  What I'd like to do is to create a clone on the large USB external drive I use for backups and be able to restore from there.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jerry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

I don't know what "tutorial" you looked at...but an optical drive has nothing to do with cloning a hard drive.

There are only 2 elements needed:

a.  A program that produces a reliable, trustworthy clone of a drive...I use Macrium Reflect to clone my drives.

b.  Another hard drive which will be the destination of the identical copy.

Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download - http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Louis

#3 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

Hi Jerry

Do you want to clone the drive where it will delete all data currently on the external drive and make it look like the internal drive

or

do you want to make an image of the internal drive and store the image on the external drive so that if the internal drive failed, you could put in a new drive and simply put the image stored on the external drive onto the new internal drive and it would look just like it did when you originally made the image?

Whew, that was a mouthful! :)

It sounds to me like you want the second option but let me know for sure. If that is what you want, tell us ...

1. How much free space you have on the external drive.

2. How big is the internal drive

3. How many partitions are on the internal drive and do you want to keep them all in the image (like is there a recovery partition for a factory restore)

4. Can you boot from a USB flash drive and do you have one that is at least 1GB

James

#4 Ace_Vedo

Ace_Vedo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

Thanks Louis and James.

James, your second option is the one I want.  I'm simply trying to create a clone that I could use to reproduce my current system onto a new drive should the current one fail.

1. My external drive has 320 gb.

2. My current internal drive has 160 gb.

3. My current internal drive has two main partitions (C and D), which I'd like to keep, plus a small 100mb "SYSTEM" partition and a 15 gb "Recovery" partition.

My computer is a Samsung N150 with Windows 7 Starter.

And that tutorial I read was here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/backup-your-computer-with-driveimage-xml/

Thanks,

Jerry

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

DriveImageXML is very good. Haven't used it in awhile though and I can't remember if they have a bootable USB option or not. They might, you can check their site.

The one that I use when there are no problems with the drive (I'm usually asked to image damaged drives not healthy ones :) ) is Clonezilla.

http://clonezilla.org/liveusb.php

http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live-doc.php

See the section Save disk image

There are lots of step by step instructions at the site and it works really well. However, it can be overwhelming so take a look at it and if you have any questions, let us know. I can help answer them.

The nice thing is that once you get through the process of making the image, restoring it in the future is easy.

James

#6 Ace_Vedo

Ace_Vedo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:11 PM

Thanks, James.  That points me in the right direction.  I appreciate the advice.

Jerry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users