Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

uploading pictures

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ac_02

ac_02

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

Just recently purchased a new laptop that has windows 8 and it's definitely a bit of a learning curve, lol.  Anyway, my issue is this:  I am an amateur photographer and am used to using the windows photo viewer as my first line of defense to checking out my pictures.  Previously, on windows 7, I would open the card, cut the pictures from my memory card and paste them into the folder that I wanted.  From there, I would open a picture and scroll through them, rotating them so they're all in the correct alignment.  

I recently took some pictures and loaded them to the new laptop and I noticed that it automatically rotated them for me (or so I thought).  Which, in a perfect world would be great.  However, I logged onto yahoo messenger and went to do a photo share with a friend and when I brought up the pictures, via yahoo, the ones that I took as a "portrait" were rotated to be landscape (which made viewing the pictures awkward).  When you look at the pictures in the master folder (and in photo viewer), they all appear to be turned the correct way but when I go to share them, they're not.

Does anyone know where the problem is?  Is it a new feature from windows 8?  Do I need to change some setting?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!  Thank you for your time

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

It's a "Feature" of WIndows 8 and there is no way to turn it off at this time. Your only option is to use another program like Windows Photo Gallert (need to set that to Windows 7 compatbility mode though) or irfanview. When you view the pictures using a standalone program, they should show the actual orientation of the photo.

Ridiculous that you cant disable this natively in Windows 8.

#3 ac_02

ac_02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

thank you for answering my question...for a little while (after noticing the issue), I thought it was all me.  Glad to know I'm not that inept, LOL.  Once again, thanks for your input.  I truly appreciate it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users