Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop keeps Freezing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TRBoyd69

TRBoyd69

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

I have a Compaq laptop that keeps freezing on start up.   and can only be run in safe mode or safe mode with networking at this point.  I have tried everything I know to solve the problem

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

Hi,

While you don't say what you have tried, it may be time to get drastic - but first back up any data you have on this computer. You can do this from safe mode using Windows Explorer - right click on the start button and left click on 'Explore'. Once this is open, you can drag and drop all your data to, depending on how much you have, either a memory stick or an external hard drive. But do this before you do anything else.

If you have a recovery partition on this computer, you are now in a position to reinstall the operating system. If you are getting to the windows repair screen on a normal start, let it go through this until it says it has failed. You will then be asked if you want to try advanced options. Select this, and you should be offered an option, if you have a recovery partition, to restore to factory settings. Select this, and let it run. Note that this will delete all your applications and reinstall all the crapware that came with it in the first place. Once it has finished you will be faced with the task of uninstalling any manufactuter installed application you don't want, reinstalling all your own applications, and you will have all your Windows updates to reinstall ! If you can only get into safe mode, you can access the Compaq recovery system from there.

Alternatively, if you have the original Windows disc, you can reinstall Windows from that. Switch the computer on, open the CD/DVD drive and put the disc in then turn the machine off. At reboot, it will boot from the Windows installation disc. This will bring you to a screen where you will be asked to selct your language. Do this. Then you will be asked if you want to install or repair. Try the repair option first. If this works, you have just saved yourself a weekend's worth of sweat !  If it doesn't, you are probably going to have to do the full reinstall, with all the work this entails.

It might be worth waiting a day or so to see if anyone else comes up with a better idea !  There may be an easier way of dong it.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 TRBoyd69

TRBoyd69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:49 PM

I ran combofix my daughters used it for hours without a problem, now however they told me it is freexing again.  THey said it works fine in safe mode with networking.I have the logs from combofix saved on a flash drive, but not sure where I would upload it to here.

Edited by TRBoyd69, 10 March 2013 - 11:50 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:51 AM

ComboFix is a tool used for malware situations., while this forum attempts to deal with questions re Windows 7 situations.

If you wish to post ComboFix or other logs reflecting malware...please follow Steps 6-10 of the guidance at Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html .  Post that and other requested logs within the same forum which houses the Prep Guide.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users