Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whats Your Favorite Image/graphics Editing Program?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:17 PM

I have Photoshop at work...love its power, hate its power :thumbsup: Too expensive for home though unfortunately and looking for a good one there. Playing around with microsoft's digital imaging suite and good old paintshop pro.

Whats your favorite image/graphic editing program?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 02:18 AM

I'm a longtime fan of Paintshop Pro and regarded old versions as the finest freeware ever made (JASC gave away v5 to magazine subscribers and v7 is available free from some websites) but now that I have actually bought a version (vX) I'm having some difficulties and issues with it - a major issue being Corel have changed all the icons and the menu structure so I can't find anything! :thumbsup: It also seems to be a resource hog which previous versions never were.
If you want free and powerful and are willing to spend a bit of time learning how it works then you can't go past "The GIMP" imo. It all depends what you want to do and how easily you want to do it.
:flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:10 AM

I'm a big fan of Adobe Photoshop (version 6 and up). I've used it at work for a good many years now, and got a copy of CS for home from a friend in college. There's so much you can do in PS it's crazy. I've got 6+ years using PS and still learn new things about it all the time! Adobe programs also work well with other adobe programs, like Image ready, CS, Premiere and Audition. It's nice to be able to edit a picture in photoshop, then edit some music in audition and drag them into premiere and have it work perfectly together!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 11:02 AM

Due to the price of PS...i thought I would give Adobe Elements a try at home. Boy that software was even more complicated to use than PS in my opinion. Plus it was a dog on my system which has more than enough resources to satisfy most programs.

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 11:45 AM

Due to the price of PS...i thought I would give Adobe Elements a try at home. Boy that software was even more complicated to use than PS in my opinion. Plus it was a dog on my system which has more than enough resources to satisfy most programs.

I've never used it before, but does elements have the adjustments in preferences like PS? Meaning, can you adjust where it pulls the scratch disk from at startup, and can you allocate how much ram it uses? Rule of thumb for that (or so they say) is to let PS use 80-90% of your ram, assuming that it's the only program running. It won't use all of it unless it has to, so you can still have ram left for everything else.

It seems weird that a "lesser" program will be such a resource/system hog. By chance, do you know any college students that you can get to buy you a copy PS? It's a fraction of the price that way. I think that I paid like $175 for my copy, but I had to wait until she (the college student) was done using it for the year.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:03 PM

I do not think you can change the scratch location but not 100% on that.

As for the college idea...its a good one. Now I need to track someone down who is in college :thumbsup:

#7 WereBo

WereBo

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 01:36 PM

Allo Folks :thumbsup:

I admit to being a Corel fan :flowers: ... Since CorelDraw v4 many years ago when I was Publications Manager for an environmental charity trust.

There's bitmap AND vector drawing programs, along with screen-grabber, picture manager, 3D utilities, 1000's of fonts and clipart and photos all in one box...

I'm still using v7 and well happy to do so, the extra bells and whistles added since then didn't warrant the upgrades...
:trumpet:

Posted Image

Humus hic parumper venatus of militis

#8 Sprite_Feedback

Sprite_Feedback

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:18 PM

CS2 at the moment but if you are looking for a free one the http://www.gimp.org/ is a very capable programme.

g

#9 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:27 AM

Yeah, I use the GIMP as well, its a very good, FREE alternative to photoshop. Although it cannot match up in depth of features, I feel that it is much simpler to use. And, best of all, it is absolutely free.:thumbsup:

Edited by rookie147, 21 April 2006 - 09:27 AM.

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:38 AM

I use PaintShop 9. I got it for Christmas from my Mom. lol I am used to it, but I know I have tons to learn from it still. I am always looking for tutorials for it's use.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#11 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 10:14 AM

I use PhotoshopCS2 now, but I previously used GIMP. For basic tasks, and jobs that don't require so many customizations, I still use Paint.net. It has a lot of the familiar tools like the bigger applications do, but it is less of a resource hog.

nos :thumbsup:

When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#12 BatMon

BatMon

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 11:41 PM

I have done a year or two in graphics and I love Photoshop 7.0. Amazing program :thumbsup: . If you want some good tutorials to learn on how to design with it go to http://www.good-tutorials.com/ =)

#13 blue_inversions

blue_inversions

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 06:57 PM

i personally go for Paint.Net

i tried it after my MSPaint went awayyyyy.

*^_^*

#14 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:56 PM

I like photoshop too...price is a unrealistic though for a non-commercial user.

#15 Tosca

Tosca

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 04:05 PM

I'm a PSCS2 user and I love it. I use it nearly every day for so many things. I wouldn't be without it now.
Lorraine
Life is like an onion......it has many layers.........and they all STINK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users