Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux on a Compaq Proliant 1500

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zerotone

zerotone

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

I got hold of a Compaq Proliant 1500 5/100. I has windows 2000 on it, and it is freakishly slow to boot (an easy 5-7 mins).

The cpu is a Pentium 100. Has close to 200 mb of ram. 5 removeable Fast-Wide SCSI-2 4.3GB drives. Here is a link to the offical specs.

Now, I've put a little research into some linux distros and it would take months to make a choice. I figured I'd teleport to the install and just ask.

I wanna be able to share some files between my 2 other computers through it.

Run an in house LAN based MUD and/or light bandwith mutliplayer games.

A strong firewall (i like mOnOwall, but i'd like more)

Basic compilling (android stuff).

That's what I wanna do with a linux os on my server. I dont know how fast compilling on it would be, but android dev wouldn't be too LONG of a compile. But I really don't have a clue with this dinosaur. Anyways, anything insightfull would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:20 AM

Look at Tiny Core as a suggestion

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#3 zerotone

zerotone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:21 AM

K. I tried VectorLinux Light, but it just put it self in a loop. It would go to the main screen to add parameters, or what have you, and then it would decompile the kernel, reboot, and do the same thing. I let it do that for a hour. I think i'm having trouble with the scsi drives or something. Not really sure, I'm literally posting on their forum right after this post.

Slackware 13.31 wouldn't even load, it left a total dark screen, but I am thinking it couldn't load into the RAM since it is so small.

#4 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,600 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:27 AM

Or you could give Bodhi Linux a shot.

http://www.bodhilinux.com/

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#5 zerotone

zerotone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

Bodhi has a mininum requirement of 300 mhz CPU. And, just to throw it out there, is this forum mostly supportive of ubuntu, or ubuntu based distros? I see post getting more help related to ubuntu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users