Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected - Curse Of The Black Wallpaper

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hibachi

hibachi

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:04 PM

Hello, I've noticed that I'm infected. I was poking around websites that I do know that are probably not the safest to be clicking around. I downloaded a zip file and ran an .exe in there on accident. Then hell was unleashed upon my computer. A small red x appeared in the icon tray, saying that I was infected and I should click there for help. Confusing this X as my Microsoft AntiSpyware, I click it and wait, and then this new program appears: "Spy Sheriff." So I close it, go into Control Panel, and remove it. Now about this time I have also gotten around to updating Adaware and Avast, and sent them both in. Avast restarted my computer, and after it scanned and after some time, the X had gone away. Aswell, it picked up "paytime.exe", which I think it killed, but am unsure of. After all this, everything seemed okay besides ones problem... my wallpaper has gone completely black. I checked my Display Properties, and the Desktop tab, and the selection box had become greyyed out. The wierd thing was though, when I shutdown my system, the icons and taskbar blinked out like normal, but my wallpaper was back. So, after all this, I decide to simply do a system restore. I rebooted into safe mode, and selected system restore. The only day available for me to restore to was March 15, and this was because of an error with my system clock, which causes it to stay within one hour of one day, and only in that hour, but that'll be a different problem for a different day. When I selected that date and tried to restore, Windows rebooted telling me that I could not, but I could see my wallpaper normally, so I just hit "Okay." This was a bad idea, seeing as black washed over it again. Icons and taskbar still there, but the problem continued. And now I'm here. I am downloading HiJackThis! currently, and will post a log of that once it finishes.

Any help or similiar problems?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:22 PM

See if this helps:
How to remove SpySheriff / Winstall.exe / Spysheriff.exe
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users