Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No programs responding

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jackiegreeno

jackiegreeno

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

Operating Windows XP Professional.  Last night running programs began to not respond.  Turn off computer did not work.  Control/alt/delete did not work.  Computer was unplugged by user.  This morning it started up normally, or so it seemed.  No programs would work.  Double click icon nor right  click / open.  Control / alt / delete or turn off computer did not work.  Cold boot.  Trying to start in safe mode, it kept coming back to :"If there was..."  3 different scenarios and always highlighted was "start windows normally".  Would still cursor up to safe mode with networking and it went through it, then back to the same screen.  Finally started in normal mode and was able to get into ccleaner.  Now that is locked up after first cleaning.  Before I could get to registry.  Again control / alt / delete and shut down....all locked up.

Suggestions please

Jackie

Edited by jackiegreeno, 10 March 2013 - 10:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

I would check the system for possible overheating, as a first step.

I would also check the amount of free space available on the Windows partition, compared to total size of partition.  Windows needs 10-15% of that partition to be free space in order to function effectively.

Louis

#3 jackiegreeno

jackiegreeno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:00 AM

How?  Nothing works.  It looks beautiful at start up but nothing works.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

Sorry...I was just thinking out loud, not suggesting a fix for inability to power a system up and get into Windows.

Can you get into the BIOS?

<<Before I could get to registry>>

What for?  Did you make any changes in the registry?

System manufaccturer and model?

Louis

#5 jackiegreeno

jackiegreeno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

I was into "My Computer", but it locked up thee.  control / alt / delete gets as far as my desktop background.  My profile opens to my background....no icons.

No, I was in Ccleaner.  I was able to do initial and it locked up .  Wanted to check the registry with Ccleaner.

It is a Dell Inspiron 530.  Running Windows SP Professional.

Haven't tried to get into Bios.  Would that be F1?

#6 jackiegreeno

jackiegreeno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

Just got into BIOS CMOS set up utility (F2)

#7 jackiegreeno

jackiegreeno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

Should I just be waiting for a response?  I mean, perhaps I should check back later?  In the mean time, that machine is inoperable and I have no clue what to do in bios.

#8 jackiegreeno

jackiegreeno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

Do you know anything about this:  Go To www.dougknox.com 

In the left hand column, click WinXP fixes 
Then in the list that comes up, click File Association fixes 
Then in the next list that appears, click EXE File Association Fix 

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

In no particular order...

Yes, I know of Doug Knox list of registry fixes, have used/suggested it many times to members.  If you cannot get into Windows, I'd be curious as to how you install a registry edit.

The general opinion among the more knowlegeable...is that any use of registry cleaner programs/utilities...is an invitation for problems.

I  asked about the BIOS...because it was not clear if the system boots into Windows or has no poser.  It appears that your Windows install is the problem, not the hardware.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  •  
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  •  
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  •  
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  •  
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 10 March 2013 - 01:05 PM.

#10 jackiegreeno

jackiegreeno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

Thanks for all the registry information.  I will refrain from doing that.  Ccleaner is the only one that I have ever used.  In the mean time, I do not find anything on your reply that will help me now.  I am able to get to malware bytes on a different profile and am doing a scan....finding nothing.  "It appears that your Window install is the problem".  Can you elaborate on that and perhaps give me an idea of what I can do.  I asked you about the Doug Knox not for registry problems.  Someone was having problems very similar to mine and the suggestion was the xp file association fix.  So, you do not recommend that, at this time?  Can you recommend something?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:45 PM

For any typical computer problem...there are 4 things that need to normally be considered, if an answer is to be found:  hardware, software, the O/S itself, and malware.  I consider malware a separate item because it can make problems seem as if they originate with the other three, while the true cause is masked.

Once hardware is eliminated (system boots), the other three remain suspects.

And so on...until the problem is resolved.

No offense intended...but if you go back and look at your first post...and the additional info you've provided since then...I believe that you will realize that troubleshooting based on your posts, without having the system...is not very easy.

I should also state...that Malwarebytes, although a good tool...is not necessarily the be-all tool for malware, nothing is.  If you suspect a malware problem, then we really ought to move your topic to the Am,I Infected forum, where personnel who normally deal with malware situations...can assist you.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users