Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Streaming Video over network

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:57 AM

Hi everyone

This problem has me stumped, and since I'm not really an expert when it comes to network troubleshooting, I thought I might as well ask here.

I have a hard drive shared on my network that I use to share media across all computers connected through a wireless network.  The network uses the following router:

TPLink 300M Wireless Router Model TL-WR941N.

The media being shared includes family photos and videos.

Up until a few days ago, we could stream the videos across the network, ie. someone could double-click the file directly on the network folder and watch the video on their computers. However, after some change (which I am still unaware of, as nothing was installed/uninstalled on my PC), the videos have become choppy. I narrowed it down to a buffering problem, but I am not sure what to do next.

How do I proceed to narrow down the cause of the problem?

Other bits of information that might be useful:

There are two host computers that are streaming the video at the same time. Both, the hard-drive read speed and the router upload/download rates can support this demand without any problems, as this setup was working in the past.

I found that one of the computers has no problems streaming video, but the other does (all of a sudden). Could it be a problem with that computer?

Thanks for any help/advice!

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:33 AM

Hi aommaster

Have you tried checking the difference when on wired or moving the video directly to hard drive if its a buffering or bandwith problem? Please check the latest firmware version of your TPLink Router http://www.tp-link.dk/products/details/?model=TL-WR941ND#down if its not yet upgraded. See also stuttering problem tips from this link http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/22757/help-prevent-stutter-in-video-streams-in-vlc-windows-media-player/

Tekken

#3 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:36 AM

Hi jhayz

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I checked my router's firmware, and I updated it.

The problem definitely seems to be a bandwidth problem, but only bandwidth to that computer, for some odd reason. There is another computer on the network that doesn't seem to have this problem. Copying and pasting the file from the network to that computer makes the problem disappear.

I also increased the buffer time to 5 seconds (using VLC), but the problem still occurs. 

For some reason, the data transfer over the network to that specific computer is not happening as fast as it used to.

Any ideas on what could be causing it? For what it's worth, the computers in question are two laptops (different makes and models). Perhaps a power-saving feature that somehow got turned on? I'm not sure how and why, though, since the laptops are both connected to the mains when they are connected to the network.

Edit:

I went looking around on the internet for other people that might have this problem and stumbled across this thread:

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=202684

Apparently, the solution for this person was accessing the file directly through IP, if I understood it correctly. Surely this wouldn't be a problem?

Edited by aommaster, 12 March 2013 - 10:56 AM.

unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:45 AM

Perhaps a power-saving feature that somehow got turned on?

It should atleast be on recommended settings or if you want to set it to 'high' just to check on the difference. Try increasing the caching and updating/reinstalling the network driver also.

There are two host computers that are streaming the video at the same time

How about using one? Never done that actually. :) But that seems mute since your accessing only one host computer.

Apparently, the solution for this person was accessing the file directly through IP, if I understood it correctly.

From what I know, the IP is coming from the hosting computer where the streaming (VLC) video files is initiated. In the other threads case, it was a server IP which is similar to your setup when trying to stream media file by putting the host computer IP address -> rrvK8aV.jpg

Since there are probably multiple computers using the bandwith, try isolating the troubled laptop by using only the internet connection and see if there is improvement since its on a wireless connection.

Tekken

#5 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

Hi!

So, the weirdest thing just happened. I simply deleted the shortcut on that computer, re-navigated to the network folder and re-made the shortcut. Buffering problem is now gone.

Now, if you could explain to me why this worked (or if it is a coincidence), I would really appreciate it! :hysterical:

unite_blue.png

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:54 AM

Like this article explains.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users