Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to connect to SSID

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ThePie69

ThePie69

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:49 AM

I'm unable to connect to my friends wifi but the unprotected neibors wifi I can just find. The ip is set to automatic and I'm also not receiving any data packets. What could be causing this? Other people in the house connect just fine but not my laptop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

Hi,

First off - can you 'see' this router if you click on the wi-fi icon in your task bar ?  If you can, then normally all you need to do to connect is click on the SSID, and on 'Connect'. If it is secured, like your friend's, then you will need to type in his access key - WEP, WPA-PSK or whatever - and you should connect.

As this key is a case-sensitive password, you need to type it in exactly correctly, otherwise it will not connect. Without his access key, you will not be able to connect. Once you have connected to it by correctly entering the access code, you will be asked if you want to connect automatically. If you now click on 'Yes', the next time you are at your friend's house, you will find yourself on-line without having to repeat this process.

If you can't see your friend's router, but he can connect, it may be that it is set not to transmit the SSID. In which case ask him if he can change this setting to 'Transmit SSID' so that your computer can 'see' it.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users