Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD issues not resolved -

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 MT_Chair

MT_Chair

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:32 AM

Hi All,

(... TIA.).  I have the BlkSOD on my laptop before login and having tremendous difficulty solving/removing the problem/virus.  The only way to see anything is to plug in an external monitor and boot in safe mode.  Regular mode won't run and goes blank right after you see "Starting WIndows" (again, thru the ext monitor because the main monitor is totally black.) Fan starts when trying to boot in normal mode tho. 

Over the past 2 days -

I have tried Repair mode - no success, it doesn't find any problems.  According to my computer there are no restore points!! - Bollox as I've used them before. (I will add that whilst in repair mode, the command prompt from it shows X: not C: )

I've tried chkdsk /r and f but I get message of can' lock drive as its in use by another process... I've tried sfc scannow and no dice, write protected.  I recently did a general chkdsk and in one of the reports I noticed "56k in bad sector".

So, what programs have I tried? ComboFix, Zanema AntiMalware**, TDSSKiller, SuperSpyWare and nothing out of the ordinary, imo. **I will say that Zanema once found 'suspicious' items - about 3 or 4 of each, iexplorer and explorer exe files but not in the C:Windows folder (if mem serves they were buried in the local/app/temp ....ie  some hidden folder somewhere. The giveaway was that the info on those were date modified was back in '11 but date created said a few days ago when this all started.  I ran Zanema again this eve and it only found one suspicious thing - a PEV.exe.

The reg key - the shell in Winlogin states exporer.exe.  Now, I just re-checked the Windows folder and there is no stand alone explorer.exe file i.e. no C:Windows/explorer.exe - (which I swear I saw it there a couple of days ago) there is an explorer folder which is the library viewing explorer.  So now I suspect that is the culprit, no stand alone exporer.exe file

But, am I chasing a ghost?!?! I don't suspect the video card b/c I wouldn't see anything on an external monitor.  I think something has really rogered my laptop; and if a stand alone explorer.exe file was deleted by malware etc, where does one get one?

I am one step away from copy my files, making list of my programs and going into repair mode and resetting the computer to factory settings... which I am hesitant to do until this is resolved; nervous newbie I am.

Any suggestions or does the answer lay in a paragraph above?? Many thanks, again.

Edited by hamluis, 10 March 2013 - 05:59 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am i Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users