Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows temp jam packed directory [folder]

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Bar

Chris Bar

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

During cleanup, web temp files are deleted, however the c:/windows/temp remains untouched.  This is a temp directory, so should it be emptied?   Is it safe to delete the file manually, or should I leave it alone?  Am on a mission to do some 1's & 0's spring cleaning and wanted to address this first.  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,573 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

Feel free to delete all the files in any temp folder. If you just installed any new software, reboot before empty a temp folder (some programs put files in the temp folder which are needed to complete installation upon reboot).

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

Hi -

Remove temporary and junk files

To clean out your temporary internet files and temp files.
Download TFC by OldTimer from HERE to your desktop.

Double-click TFC.exe to run it.

Note 1: If you are running on Vista / Windows7, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator

Note 2: TFC will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
* Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process.
* Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two.
* Please let TFC run uninterrupted until it is finished.Once TFC is finished it should restart your computer.

If it does not, please manually restart the computer yourself to ensure a complete cleaning.

Further details are explained at the download link -

Thank You -

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,573 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:23 PM

You can follow the instructions in the above post if you like - certainly no harm. Personally, I just remove them "manually".

#5 Chris Bar

Chris Bar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:59 AM

Looked in this issue further, and found that the quantity of temp files is much less than I had thought.  I had used the free tuneup by AVG [stays active for one day] to remove junk files which numbered well over 1000, but the next day when the free ran out, they all returned when I thought fix performance had deleted them!  Was not clean long enough to know if that helped.  Need to find something similar to AVG tuneup that is really help and not a come-on.  Any ideas?  Am now fighting something named IRP Hook that cannot be removed with normal AVG automatic cleanup.  Will add item on that when I figure where to do so.  But, for the question asked, I can delete folder under Windows named TEMP and not have a problem...thanks.

Edited by Chris Bar, 11 March 2013 - 06:03 AM.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,573 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:07 AM

You're welcome.

#7 Agglomerate

Agglomerate

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

May be a bit late, but you can always download CCleaner, it's a free application by Piriform that deletes all temp data, prefetch, and cache etc. Also, if you use the registry tool, it cleans all empty registry keys etc. Although I don't use the registry tool, as it could be damaging. Hopefully I've helped.

- Agglomerate

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,573 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

First of all, there's no need to use 3rd party software to delete temp files. Second, registry cleaners CAUSE problems, they don't cure them. The best regsitry cleaners do absolutly nothing. The worst of them can render your system unusable.

#9 Agglomerate

Agglomerate

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

I was just mentioning third party software can make it EASIER. Also, like I said, registry cleaners can be damaging, hence I don't use them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users