Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC won't POST after cooler & video upgrade

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 derekarmstrong

derekarmstrong

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

Hello, just want to say I created this account to post this issue..

I was upgrading the cooler and video card in my Frankenstein PC, when upon powering the machine it would not boot video. There also seem to be no beep codes.. for anything. It may simply be the motherboard (it's almost ancient now), but I'd hope it's not for the moment. 

This is the motherboard, from an HP Pavilion Special Edition a6745f.

In a new case, I replaced the PSU, RAM, and CPU first and everything went well. The PSU was upgraded to a 650W unit and the CPU was upgraded to an AMD Phenom II Black Edition. Memory was upgraded to a total 6GB (replacing 2x1GB modules with 2x2GB units). A temporary graphics card was also added: a 256MB GeForce 9400GT. Again, everything was fine.

Then my card and cooler arrived. Keep in mind, I was using the stock cooler from the HP machine with no huge issues (on average 57 C with fresh thermal grease). I removed the cooler and installed a larger, 120mm Cooler. The heatsink was joined with a new GeForce GTX650 Ti.

And now it won't POST.

I've checked all the cables, rebuilt the machine, tested the PSU, even tried booting the machine with the old CPU fan in the CPU port and the new cooler in the SYSFAN port. It may be worth noting that I have two other fans running from MOLEX connections, the board only has 2 total fan ports. Also, The CPU fan port will spin up any fan, but none will continue to run. They only spin for 3-4 seconds.

Any ideas? I'll provide more information if needed. THANKS :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 derekarmstrong

derekarmstrong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

Additionally, integrated video (DVI & VGA) will not display. Nor will the GeForce 9400GT (DVI & VGA). I'm testing on an Acer 22" with DVI and VGA inputs, so all of those are covered. I tested HDMI on the GTX650 Ti with a DVI > HDMI adapter and mini-HDMI cable.

#3 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

Hi

In these situations, I usually pull everything and see if it at least attempts to POST.

Pull/ unplug everything off of the board except...

CPU and cooler

Keyboard

On board video

That means no RAM, no cards, no mouse, no drives, no USB ports that aren't hardwired.

Plug it in and see if it beeps and outputs any video.

If not then pull the CPU

Plug it in and see if it beeps and outputs any video.

If not then it is likely the motherboard or PSU.

Try a different PSU if you have one and that will pretty definitively tell you if the motherboard is the issue.

If you do see video at any step and get any beeps, add back pieces until you determine the component causing the problem.

Hope this helps

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users