Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boots only in safe mode, windows installer fails, IE fails

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jstacer

jstacer

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

I took on a basket case for a friend. Machine hadnt booted for months. I got it running in normal mode after it churned for 2 hours and found outdated Norton Internet security and AVG running. Unable to uninstall them using uninstall, so got in registry and deleted all mentions of AVG, Norton and Symantec. Managed to download and install Windows updates and SP 3 for XP as well as IE 8. Tried to install Microsoft security essentials but it won't install. Ran Malware bytes which found about 15 threats which I let it delete. I then installed while online Avast! and it seems to run.Tried to install Word viewer, got error message, then ran Malwarebytes again, one more threat found. Now only boots in safe mode with networking, so tried installingword viewer again, same error (install failed). IE now won't start.

I think I must have accidentally deleted something I need while going through registry deleting Norton stuff. I tried System File Checker but it wanted original install CD to proceed and I don't have it.

I have tried running Combofix in safe mode without letting it fix anything just for info, but Combofix won't get past the opening autoscan screen. I tried letting it run for two hours, but no scanning takes place.

Any hope other than complete system restore and loss of owner's data?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

Sounds to me as if a clean install is a good idea...after moving valued data files to safety.

I would move files simply by connecting the drive as a slave to a different system...and moving the files considered valuable.

When friends bring me their infected systems, that's usually the quickest/surest method that I use to ensure that they have a working system that is free of malware.

Louis

#3 jstacer

jstacer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:10 AM

Problem solved! After a couple of hours on Microsoft site I found that I needed to run AMD patch (KB953356) before installing SP3. I used non-destructive system recovery, used IE6 to download SP3 and after install downloaded and installed IE8, then updated system (required more than 130 patches and hotfixes. Apparently owner had never done any updates in 7 years.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for letting us know that you resolved the issues...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users