Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could Be The Next Big Thing In Internet?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 07:49 PM

Broadband Over Powerlines

A friend and I were discussing new or budding technologies to perhaps invest in. We came upon this BPL service. One of the easiest to understand articles I found is here L@@K

The infrastructure is already there. Add some CT Couplers and a new modem to the end user. Plug into the internet surf hi speed and everyone with power can get on. Also without all of the cable installation and its maintenence it should be cheaper

With more than 18 million miles of electrical lines strung or buried nationwide, the ability to reach virtually every business and home in the U.S., and transport speeds that are as much as four times faster than cable modem or digital subscriber line services, broadband over power lines has the potential to pose a serious competitive threat.
A few tweaks to solving some interfence problems and frequency allocation ( Ham operators) and zoom !!! I think it may have some potential and I will be watching it but at least it is interesting.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 02:02 PM

One other that has been around for a while....

Broadband over gas lines... a BiG idea that could definitely happen!
Does this mean that the next gas leak, would be diminishing bandwidth? Would the surrounding atmosphere smell like ones and zeros? And just what does a one and zero smell like? :thumbsup: :flowers:

Be (Cooking with Gas) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

Edit: To fix nonworking URL

Edited by Animal, 05 April 2006 - 02:09 PM.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:05 PM

Today .... Story

UPDATE 2-Calif. agency OKs broadband-over-power-lines test

CPUC commissioner Rachelle Chong, who drafted the plan, said broadband over power lines, or BPL, could become a new competitor to Internet services delivered via telephone, cable and satellites and help reduce prices for consumers
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:31 PM

BLP has been around for a couple of years, the FCC's Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) was to be suspended till this last month to allow the ham operators to be heard before they give the nod to the powers that be (be rich that is), I still haven't heard anything definitive.

The argument that the radio frequencies will cause huge amounts of disruption is still a reality, and the FCC wants to label it with the same catch all allowance that they use on house hold items.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 10:06 PM

Yes, It appears that interference with Ham operators is the biggest hurdle. But a couple solutions can work. Such as areas that have underground routing,as a lot of major cities do. Keeping it in a 1Mhz spectrum that is that is the least interfering. They also could just go microwave lol. I just keep and open mind for competition. DSL, broadband or BPL, choices keep the price down. Unlike when Mr. Clinton allowed Exxon and Mobil to merge into the largest fuel monpoly and now look at the pump price. But that's in another forum. I'm also getting some facts together on another form. I wanted to post that today but I need a few more thingds. Then I will post it for all to ponder.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 10:33 PM

I personally would like to see it happen, as you suggest, compition does help keep the prices down. I live in a rural are where Verizon owns the phone lines, and all they offer is the usual dial up connection, and the options are satellite connections which are more that I can or will justify paying for, the BLP would be welcome to me in this instance.

I should take a picture of a telephone pole in our area, it is the last in a line going towards the boonies, and on the last pole is a piece of monofilament fishing line with a soup can attached to the other end.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2006 - 04:03 PM

Well since im in the boonies and dsl lines would not profit the phone co much on my road I hope this works...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users