Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ending a Live CD session with Ubuntu/Mint or others

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:04 AM

Or, what is the best way to get that penguin out of my DVD player once I'm done?  :lol:

Hey everyone, good day.

Starting to get my feet wet with some of these distros and have made (and played with) Ubuntu and Mint so far from a Live Disc.

Haven't really been impressed with either one but I suspect that's more because I'm not that familiar with them and don't really know how to "play" with them. Still trying to figure out what I want to do with them, what I'm expecting, what I'm getting, etc.

However...all those questions aside, what I'm not sure how to do is to end my session with a Live Disc.

I did some goggling (is that a verb now?) and scrolled through a couple of pages of posts here in the Linux/Unix Forums but didn't see anything obvious.

I'm still planning on playing with both distros some more and will most likely try at least two more (suggestions?) but when ever I am done...if I Shut Down or Reboot, or what have you...is there a correct order / preferred method for getting that DVD out of the player?

Basic info: My current machine is a new HP running Win7 (64bit) with the spiffy AMD A6-3650 and 8 gigs of RAM. 

Yeah. it's speedy... <_< ...sort of.

Any ideas / best practices?

Thanks in advance.

onward,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:23 AM

In the menu, you'll find both Log Out  and Shut Down. They do as they say. Shut Down will also give you the option to reboot.

It used to be Ctrl-Alt-Del would give a menu for logging out, shutting down and rebooting. There might still be some that do that, but I haven't seen one in a few years.

#3 K6567

K6567

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

I've used many live Linux CD's and usually during the shutdown or reboot process they eject themselves before the computer stops or reboots. For those that don't auto eject, doing it manually doesn't do any harm that I know of. Just a thought for you! Have you considered putting your Linux distros on a multiboot USB drive. I have one 8gb drive with Ubuntu(64), Mint(32 & 64), KXStudio, Gentoo, Fedora, Xpud, and Puppy. Advantage!! Well when I'm tired of a distro or want an update, delete and load another; and the USB shuts down and reboots without any "correct order / preferred method for getting that DVD out of the player."   

#4 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:43 AM

Hello and thanks for the feedback and ideas.

@K6567 I had not even considered using a USB drive. Since I've just started this process I read a couple of places that a Live Disc would be easier to make that a USB drive.

I'm not really worried about breaking anything - heck, that's a big part of the reason I'm here: to break and then learn how/why it broke.

So thanks for that suggestion, I've got several drives around the house and since I'm still anxious to test drive a few more flavors I will head in that direction.

again, thanks everyone....

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users