Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows line-in or microphone latency/delay solved - March 2013

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 SidyDe

SidyDe

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:30 AM

The bitter truth of realizing the latency (delay) in the monitoring of line in/microphone inputs in Windows Vista/7/8 is being regarded as the most unsolved mystery in the windows audio environment. This accounts for all those musicians (like me and other people who were enjoying music through the computer during Windows XP), drown in sorrow in realizing the latency in monitoring the line in/microphone after upgrade. This shattered the positive expectations of flying to the sky after upgrading from Windows XP. Some reverted back to the ground with Windows XP and are happy. But others like me who upgraded the hardware too, learnt the hard way that once you are in the air you cannot come back to the ground as there were no available Windows XP drivers! After all those 'negative' results from experiments like wasting valuable hours in searching/modifying Windows XP drivers, getting cramped fingers after workout through linux commands etc. I finally devised a method to resolve the global problem with easy and basic steps.

Instructions as follows-
1. Download and install the latest 'FL Studio' demo version from their website. This includes the important 'ASIO4ALL' drivers.
2. Connect the line in/microphone systems and check whether they can be heard, well, with their latency. In some systems with the default configurations, only external microphone connection works by default. So, if prompted to select the connected input type, always choose microphone instead of line in.
3. Choose a 'Balanced' or 'High Performance' Power Plan if using a laptop.
4. Run 'FL Studio' and create a new project.
5. Under <Options/Audio settings/> click on the 'Input/Output device' drop-down menu and select the 'ASIO4ALL' driver and close it.
6. Click on the 'View Mixer' button at the top-right section to bring up the mixer panel.
7. In the mixer panel on the far top right side, there is a drop-down list with 'IN' written beside it.
8. Select your audio capture system stereo/mono.
9. Similarly, at the far bottom right side, select the audio output device in the 'OUT' drop-down list.
10. You should be hearing the input with almost unnoticeable delay.
11. Now practice, record, mix or shout with joy (like I did).

My heartfelt honor goes to you all who had suffered like me. But now, not anymore!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aliens30586

aliens30586

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:32 AM

Thanks man! You're my hero! 

I'm shouting with joy like you did!!!!! Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!

:clapping:

#3 SidyDe

SidyDe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

WOOHOO! There you go!

The real "technical" related is that when you install FL Studio, it installs "ASIO4ALL" driver for the audio hardware. In simple terms, this driver kinda directly connects the audio hardware to FL Studio bypassing all the "paths" that are actually necessary to cross for the default audio driver.

If you are recording with other software, just select the "ASIO4ALL" for the input.

#4 woodchild

woodchild

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

this is great...I have no latency anymore.. but am having one problem.

I cant play the mp3 music from my computer together with the mic input.

it is either output of the mic, turn off the output from ASIO4ALL too allow playback of mp3 music from computer.

please help!! I am a step away from successful.

thanks

#5 SidyDe

SidyDe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:27 AM

It is simple. Just use FL Studio to play the mp3 music. You can have better control and more enhancement options. If your media player has options to select specific output audio driver/hardware, then you can set it to ASIO4ALL and listen to  both. But using FL Studio feels more comfortable and professional.

Here's what I do to jam along-

1. Open FL Studio

2. Open the Mixer

3. In the Master channel, the Fruity Limiter is set by default. It is needed to be disabled/muted to get the original sound of the mic input.

4. Choose an empty channel (I choose 5) and set the IN to the mic input and add effects if necessary to your input.

5. Open the Playlist and drag the mp3 song file to it from the folder.

Now as you play the main song, your mp3 is played and you can jam along too. You can almost do things like seek/drag and volume control like in your media player. You can add many tracks in the Playlist and switch by using the mute in the step sequencer. Also you can send that mp3 from the Sequencer to a Mixer channel and add EQ to cut out bass/treble/vocals frequencies to jam better.

Hit 'Space bar' and jam aloud to success!

Edited by SidyDe, 01 July 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#6 AtMvs

AtMvs

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:08 AM

The bitter truth of realizing the latency (delay) in the monitoring of line in/microphone inputs in Windows Vista/7/8 is being regarded as the most unsolved mystery in the windows audio environment. This accounts for all those musicians (like me and other people who were enjoying music through the computer during Windows XP), drown in sorrow in realizing the latency in monitoring the line in/microphone after upgrade. This shattered the positive expectations of flying to the sky after upgrading from Windows XP. Some reverted back to the ground with Windows XP and are happy. But others like me who upgraded the hardware too, learnt the hard way that once you are in the air you cannot come back to the ground as there were no available Windows XP drivers! After all those 'negative' results from experiments like wasting valuable hours in searching/modifying Windows XP drivers, getting cramped fingers after workout through linux commands etc. I finally devised a method to resolve the global problem with easy and basic steps.

Instructions as follows-
1. Download and install the latest 'FL Studio' demo version from their website. This includes the important 'ASIO4ALL' drivers.
2. Connect the line in/microphone systems and check whether they can be heard, well, with their latency. In some systems with the default configurations, only external microphone connection works by default. So, if prompted to select the connected input type, always choose microphone instead of line in.
5. Under <Options/Audio settings/> click on the 'Input/Output device' drop-down menu and select the 'ASIO4ALL' driver and close it.
6. Click on the 'View Mixer' button at the top-right section to bring up the mixer panel.
7. In the mixer panel on the far top right side, there is a drop-down list with 'IN' written beside it.
9. Similarly, at the far bottom right side, select the audio output device in the 'OUT' drop-down list.

My heartfelt honor goes to you all who had suffered like me. But now, not anymore!

thank you so much! it works perfectly!

one question: if I connect my laptop with my TV through HDMI cable, the microphone sound keeps coming out of the laptop. The mixer doesn't give an "out" option through the TV, but only through the laptop's speakers. Does anybody know if there is a solution to this?

#7 SidyDe

SidyDe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

Instructions as follows-

thank you so much! it works perfectly!

one question: if I connect my laptop with my TV through HDMI cable, the microphone sound keeps coming out of the laptop. The mixer doesn't give an "out" option through the TV, but only through the laptop's speakers. Does anybody know if there is a solution to this?

You're welcome! I'm glad I could help.

If you use HDMI, you may not expect HDMI Audio in this configuration with ASIO drivers. Besides, FL Studio is unlikely to support HDMI Audio Out alone.

Just route the laptop audio to your audio system as possible. One more cable should be okay.

#8 Hypocycloid3

Hypocycloid3

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:29 PM

What if when I get to step 7 .... the moment I select my 'Audio Capture System' there is tremendous sudden and consistent feedbback with visual indicators shooting up to max levels?   (in my case the audio capture system i want to monitor is my 'ASUS Xonar D-Kara Audio1')  - which is a new sound card I just purchased and seems to work great, except for the mic latency even in WindowsXP.  

Incidentally there are 3 other choices for it here in the 'IN' drop-down along with 2 grayed out choices for ASIO4all mono and ASIO4all stereo.  

Feeback will not go away until I choose 'none' again.  Is this an indicator that my new audio card may be defective?   I have the latest recommended drivers from ASUS.    I am also using SPDIF Toslink optical connection from the card into my receiver.  (SONY STR-DN1024)  <= this unit is also fairly new and worked with no mic latency when using my onboard (blase) realtek audio and an analog connection.  ( I was just really hoping to get better performance with the high end card, optical connections and karaoke features) 

#9 SidyDe

SidyDe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:28 AM

What if when I get to step 7 .... the moment I select my 'Audio Capture System' there is tremendous sudden and consistent feedbback with visual indicators shooting up to max levels?   (in my case the audio capture system i want to monitor is my 'ASUS Xonar D-Kara Audio1')  - which is a new sound card I just purchased and seems to work great, except for the mic latency even in WindowsXP.  

Incidentally there are 3 other choices for it here in the 'IN' drop-down along with 2 grayed out choices for ASIO4all mono and ASIO4all stereo.  

Feeback will not go away until I choose 'none' again.  Is this an indicator that my new audio card may be defective?   I have the latest recommended drivers from ASUS.    I am also using SPDIF Toslink optical connection from the card into my receiver.  (SONY STR-DN1024)  <= this unit is also fairly new and worked with no mic latency when using my onboard (blase) realtek audio and an analog connection.  ( I was just really hoping to get better performance with the high end card, optical connections and karaoke features) 

The feedback is usually a hardware based issue. It can be as simple as your microphone being close to the speakers and is thus picking up sounds, the cables or connecting pins/ports are bad or some routing/configuration errors etc. But don't jump to conclusion that the sound card is defective until everything is properly checked. If you can provide screenshots of FL Studio under "options>audio settings>input/output" devices dropdoen menu and from the "IN" and "OUT" in the mixer, it should be an easy start to solve the problem.

#10 mejuliehq

mejuliehq

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:59 AM

Hi SidyDe

I have a question I hope you can help me with.

I wish to use a Karafun (a karaoke program), will doing the above solve the microphone delay I experience.

Thanks in advance

#11 SidyDe

SidyDe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:11 AM

Hi SidyDe

I have a question I hope you can help me with.

I wish to use a Karafun (a karaoke program), will doing the above solve the microphone delay I experience.

Thanks in advance

Karafun probably uses stock audio drivers. So, when FL Studio is running, the audio hardware in the computer (assuming your computer has no external sound card) is already locked for use with ASIO drivers. At this point, other softwares cannot use the same audio hardware with stock audio drivers.

#12 Hypocycloid3

Hypocycloid3

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:37 PM

The feedback is usually a hardware based issue. It can be as simple as your microphone being close to the speakers and is thus picking up sounds, the cables or connecting pins/ports are bad or some routing/configuration errors etc. But don't jump to conclusion that the sound card is defective until everything is

properly checked. If you can provide screenshots of FL Studio under "options>audio settings>input/output" devices dropdown menu and from the "IN" and "OUT" in the mixer, it should be an easy start to solve the problem.

Thanks SidyDe from a long while back now,  Below are the settings requested but I have since reinstalled Windows 7, dumped the sound card upgrade and went back to on board realtek audio. I no longer get the feedback but the choices for audio input and output are not available in the mixer.   (clear sound is working with latency through my microphone (connected to the 3.5mm audio mic jack) before launching FL Studio.    <=  once I do that, I can not hear any output.  Mic or otherwise.     It's not until I change the settings below from ASIO4ALL v2 to NONE that my sound comes back at all.    Your instructions seemed well written and straight forward but I can't get the same choices you did.  What am I missing here?

*UPDATE*  After fiddling back and forth between FL Studio and my Windows Sound Settings... I finally got the latency eliminated not even sure how but  NOW FL Studio has full control of all sound and cant use anything else unless I close it.  ie: Windows Volume Control,  ... Winamp, ....www.singsnap.com  ...http://www.thekaraokechannel.com/online  etc

flstudiosettings1.png

Edited by Hypocycloid3, 01 September 2014 - 07:39 PM.

#13 SidyDe

SidyDe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:33 PM

The feedback is usually a hardware based issue. It can be as simple as your microphone being close to the speakers and is thus picking up sounds, the cables or connecting pins/ports are bad or some routing/configuration errors etc. But don't jump to conclusion that the sound card is defective until everything is

properly checked. If you can provide screenshots of FL Studio under "options>audio settings>input/output" devices dropdown menu and from the "IN" and "OUT" in the mixer, it should be an easy start to solve the problem.

Thanks SidyDe from a long while back now,  Below are the settings requested but I have since reinstalled Windows 7, dumped the sound card upgrade and went back to on board realtek audio. I no longer get the feedback but the choices for audio input and output are not available in the mixer.   (clear sound is working with latency through my microphone (connected to the 3.5mm audio mic jack) before launching FL Studio.    <=  once I do that, I can not hear any output.  Mic or otherwise.     It's not until I change the settings below from ASIO4ALL v2 to NONE that my sound comes back at all.    Your instructions seemed well written and straight forward but I can't get the same choices you did.  What am I missing here?

*UPDATE*  After fiddling back and forth between FL Studio and my Windows Sound Settings... I finally got the latency eliminated not even sure how but  NOW FL Studio has full control of all sound and cant use anything else unless I close it.  ie: Windows Volume Control,  ... Winamp, ....www.singsnap.com  ...http://www.thekaraokechannel.com/online  etc

flstudiosettings1.png

Glad that you had it solved.

Just to sum it up for you.
If you are using onboard audio-
In Control Panel>Sound>Recording>Microphone/Line in etc.>Properties:
Listen>uncheck"Listen to this device" and Playback through this device is "Default Playback Device"
Levels>Microphone Boost "0.0dB"
In FL Studio, use ASIO4ALL v2 as input.

If you are using the sound card-
Set similar connfiguration as above for the sound card where the sound card inputs will not be monitored (similar to uncheck "Listen to this device")

In FL Studio, use sound card driver as input.

Regarding the other problem of "FL Studio has full control of all sound and......", yes it is the ASIO driver that has that control. In simple terms, if the audio hardware is being used by a driver(ASIO4ALL by FL Studio), then it normally cannot be used by other drivers(Default driver by WMP, Winamp etc.) at the same time. You may try "Edison" or other such players to your needs while using FL Studio.

Good Luck!

#14 Fatcharlie

Fatcharlie

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:53 AM

Hi SidyDe - thanks so much for you work in helping people sort this.

I've just got hold of a rather older Dell XPS M1730 laptop with Win 7 64bit on it (still the best machine i've ever owned - can never afford new ones!).

I've followed your instructions and have eliminated the latency - but I only get the onboard microphones as options in the "in" section of FL Studio. I have an ordinary headset with 3.5mm jacks, and a Logitech USB microphone. Neither of these shows up when connected, but both will work via the Windows interface when the "Listen to this device" box is checked - with the latency present of course!

I predict I'm doing something daft and it'll be an easy fix - so near yet so far...

I'd really appreciate your help :-)

Cheers,

Roger.

#15 vancoo

vancoo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:59 PM

Ty for delay, it worked but I still have a problem. I cant use that ASIO4ALL thing and play a song in vlc or windows media player at the same time. So I inserted my songs in fl studio 12 browser. The problem is that I cant find an option to SHUFFLE all that songs, so they just play on randomly while the mic is on. Please help me, I'm desperately trying to solve this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users